Get started on a long adventure through Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon with our full Captain Trials (and Grand Trials) walkthrough, starting with Ilima’s Trial on Melemele Island. This is the first trial, so don’t expect too much of a challenge, even if you should always remember to stock up on potions and be prepared. There are still some surprises in the Verdant Cavern, after all!
This is also where you’ll encounter the first Totem Pokémon in Ultra Sun and Moon. This is a very different encounter than the Wild Pokémon you’ve faced so far, and things have changed up since the vanilla version in regular Sun and Moon. That’s right, there’s a completely different Totem Pokémon here, so heal up before collecting the Z-Crystal at the end of the cave. We’ll offer up some tips below.
Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Table of Contents:
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon Walkthrough | Part 1: Captain Ilima’s Trial
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon Walkthrough | Part 2: Hala’s Grand Trial
Walkthrough | Part 1: Captain Ilima’s Trial
To start Ilima’s Trial on Melemele Island, you’ll first need to battle him in Hau’oli City as part of the initial tutorial. When exploring the city with Hau, travel south toward the Marina to encounter two Team Skull grunts. Fight one of them — they’re push-overs. The real threat is Captain Ilima! You’ll fight him next.
- Battle: Captain Ilima
- Team: Lvl. 11 Yungoos, Lvl. 11 Smeargle
Yungoos and Smeagle are Normal type Pokémon, so their only weakness is Fighting type. They’re not super-threatening to any Pokémon. They have no Super Effective abilities, so you’re free to use your highest level Pokémon of any type. Ilima will use Potions, too. Bring a full (or almost full) team of 5-6 Pokémon to mop up this battle.
Ilima’s Trial: Verdant Cavern
To start Ilima’s Trial proper, travel to Route 2 and enter the Verdant Cavern. If you’re low on Pokémon, catch as many as you can on the path to the Cavern. Travel north to reach the Pokémon Center — across the path is the entrance to the Verdant Cavern.
NOTE: To make life easier, capture a Crabrawler. This Fighting type Pokémon can quickly defeat Normal type Pokémon that Ilima specializes in. To get a Crabrawler, investigate piles of berries under trees on the northern side of Route 2.
GOAL #1: Defeat 3 Pokémon in the Dens
There are three Pokémon hiding in Dens — you’ll need to defeat all three to complete the trial and get the Z-Crystal on the Pedestal at the end of the cavern.
- Den #1: Lvl. 11 Alolan Rattata – Easy! This den is directly ahead of the cavern entrance. Look for the small hole — interact and the battle will begin.
- Den #2: Lvl. 11 Alolan Rattata – Go right and forward. This Rattata will escape the den and attack you, so be prepared!
- Den #3: Lvl. 11 Alolan Raticate
- – Crawl through the narrow path up the ramp on the right side, then drop down to the den where the Pokémon appears. Investigate the den and it will appear on the upper level den — two Team Skull punks will appear, too! Defeat their Lvl. 11 Drowzz (Ghost type is very effective) — after beating them, return to the same den through the crawlspace. The Team Skull Grunts are blocking it, so you can finally battle the last Pokémon.
When that’s done, the door to the Z-Crystal Pedestal will be uncovered. Be prepared, there’s a Totem Pokémon on the other side! Heal up with any Potions you’ve stocked up before rushing inside.
GOAL #2: Defeat the Totem Pokemon
Totem Pokémon are enhanced versions of regular Pokémon. They’re bigger, stronger, and tougher — and here, you’ll need to fight a Lvl. 12 Alolan Raticate! When the battle starts, it will buff itself and increase defense.
Totem Pokémon will call in Ally Pokémon to help them fight — that means you’ll have to fight two Pokémon at once. Raticate summons Rattata to help in the fight. Crabrawler will help a lot here, if you don’t have any other Fighting type Pokémon.
Otherwise, use a high-level starter Pokémon (You should try to reach the second form of your starters before attempting this battle) and unleash matching type attacks — using attacks that match your Pokémon type will enhance their power.
Defeat the Totem Pokémon to complete the trial and collect Normalium-Z as your reward. The path forward will unlock too! There are still more trials to complete on Melemele Island, so let’s tackle them.
More Pokémon Ultra Sun & Moon guides on Gameranx:
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: Version Differences Guide | Exclusive Pokemon List
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Catch Every Legendary | Ultra Wormholes Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Farm BP Fast | Beach Surfing Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Get Totem Pokemon | All 100 Sticker Locations
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Get Ultra Necrozma | Legendary Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: Level Up Fast With SOS Chansey | Easy XP Farming Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Boost Stats Fast | EV Training Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: Island Scan Guide | Full Schedule & Locations
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How to Evolve Poipole Into Naganadel | Ultra Beast Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How to Get 100% Zygarde Form | Legendary Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: All Move Tutors & Special NPCS Locations Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Get Shiny Pokemon Fast | Wormhole Running Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How To Make Easy Money, Every Day | Cash Guide
- Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon: How to Get Every New Z-Crystal | All Z-Move Locations
Find even more Pokemon Sun & Moon guides, how-to’s and tutorials on Gameranx:
- 20 Useful Tips & Tricks Pokemon Sun / Moon Doesn’t Tell You
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 100% Zygarde Guide | Cores & Cells Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: The Best Shiny Pokemon Farming Method
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Efficiently Level Up Poke Pelago
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Find These NPCs For Free Pokemon | Gifts Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Easy Way to Raise Happiness | Friendship Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How To Stop Evolutions | No Everstone Required
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Everything You Need to Know About Pikachu
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Get Your Munchlax Mystery Gift & Snorlium-Z Now
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Get Sungaleo / Lunala | Legendaries Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Where to Find New Moves | All TM Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Generation 7 Evolution Requirements Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Learn New Pokeball Throw Styles
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Catch Ditto | Rare Pokemon Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Boost Base Stats Fast | EV Farming Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All Pokemon QR Codes | Complete Gallery
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Evolve | Evolution Stones Locations Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 6 New Features That Change Everything
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Transfer Pokedex | Compatibility Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Version Exclusive Pokemon | Full List
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Demo Secrets Guide & Special Events Calendar
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Preload Available Now | How to Get 12 Free Quick Balls