You heard right. Everstones are not required — if you don’t want a Pokemon to evolve in Pokemon Sun and Moon, all you need to do is hold the B button on your Nintendo 3DS.
Previously, the only way to stop mandatory evolutions that occur at certain levels was to find a rare Everstone, keeping your perfectly pristine Pokemon in their earlier incarnations. Completionists looking to fill up the Pokedex needed to watch their Pokemon carefully and prepare for incoming evolutions. That’s a thing of the past.
How to Stop Pokemon Evolutions
Most Pokemon evolve when they hit a certain minimum level requirement. All your starters and hundreds of other useful Poke-pals escape the confines of a cute first form to become big, brawny warriors. Well, we don’t all want Pikachu to become Raichu. As of Pokemon Sun / Moon, it is super easy to hold off evolution. Here’s how to do it.
- How to Stop Evolutions:
- During the Evolution animation, press and hold [B] to stop the evolution.
- The Pokemon will evolve at the next possible level-up, if all requirements / conditions are met.
It’s just that easy. Everstones were the only way to stop an evolution in previous Pokemon core titles. These rare stones were the anti-Evolutionary Stones. They’re still available in Pokemon Sun / Moon — gain one by defeating Ilima in his house in Hau’oli City. Ilima, the Trial Captain, goes home after you defeat the Melemele Island Kahuna.
Find even more Pokemon Sun & Moon guides, how-to’s and tutorials on Gameranx:
- 20 Useful Tips & Tricks Pokemon Sun / Moon Doesn’t Tell You
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 100% Zygarde Guide | Cores & Cells Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: The Best Shiny Pokemon Farming Method
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Efficiently Level Up Poke Pelago
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Find These NPCs For Free Pokemon | Gifts Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Daily Events You Won’t Want to Miss
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Easy Way to Raise Happiness | Friendship Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Everything You Need to Know About Pikachu
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Get Your Munchlax Mystery Gift & Snorlium-Z Now
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Get Sungaleo / Lunala | Legendaries Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Where to Find New Moves | All TM Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Generation 7 Evolution Requirements Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Learn New Pokeball Throw Styles
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Catch Ditto | Rare Pokemon Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Boost Base Stats Fast | EV Farming Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All Pokemon QR Codes | Complete Gallery
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Evolve | Evolution Stones Locations Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 6 New Features That Change Everything
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Transfer Pokedex | Compatibility Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Z-Crystal Locations | Z-Moves Unlock Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Version Exclusive Pokemon | Full List
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Demo Secrets Guide & Special Events Calendar
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Preload Available Now | How to Get 12 Free Quick Balls