The mysterious Necrozma is the final Generation 7 Pokemon available to capture in Pokemon Sun and Moon, and you’ll have to complete plenty of trials before this black-hued crystal creature shows its spooky face. Resembling an Ultra Beast, this Legendary Pokemon only appears in Ten Karat Hill after you’ve completed the game and finished a series of tough quests for the International Police.
There are five total Legendary Pokemon — and four are all part of the same evolutionary chain. Necrozma is the one stand-out Legendary, the one you won’t catch on your journey to become Champion. This strange creature looks just like an Ultra Beast, but Beast Balls won’t capture it any easier. Learn all about Necrozma with the full guide below; where to find it, how to make it spawn, and what strategies to use to catch it.
If you’re looking for the other four Legendary Pokemon and aren’t ready to tackle Necrozma, here’s our guide explaining how to get Lunala / Sungaleo in Pokemon Sun / Moon.
How to Catch Necrozma | Legendary Guide
To catch Necrozma, the Legendary Psychic-Type Pokemon, you’ll have to complete two major tasks:
- Defeat the Elite 4 and reach the post-game.
- Once you’re Alola Champion, many new quests and challenges become available.
- Complete all Ultra Beast quests for the Looker.
- Learn more about how to capture the Ultra Beasts and how to complete the Looker quests with Gameranx’s post-game guide.
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Get Every Ultra Beast | Locations Guide
Once you’ve completed these two requirements, it’s time to track down Necrozma.
- Where to Find Necrozma:
- Go to Ten Karat Hill on Melemele Island. Bust through the boulders using the Tauros Ride HM and enter Farthest Hollow. Necrozma spawns in the grassy field in the back-left corner where Rockruffs naturally appear.
There’s a very low chance that Necrozma will appear, but there are a few things you can do to make sure he shows up in battle.
- Tips to Make Necrozma Appear:
- Use Super Repel — this will keep low-level Rockruffs from bothering you while you try to get Necrozma to spawn.
- Charge — always keep running, or ride on Tauros and charge in circles. The faster you move, the more likely you are to enter into a random battle.
- Don’t put Pokemon over Level 75 in your team. Necrozma is a Level 75 Pokemon, and will not spawn if you have Level 75+ Pokemon.
The Pokemon in Ten Karat Hill are Level 10+ at best, so Super Repel will get rid of the trash as you circle the grass, and only Necrozma will appear for a fight. When it does, you’ll want to be prepared to catch it.
- Tips to Help Catch Necrozma:
- Save Your Master Ball — Necrozma is the hardest Pokemon to catch in Sun / Moon. Saving the Master Ball for this battle will make things far, far easier.
- Do Not Use Beast Balls — Necrozma is not an Ultra Beast. Beast Balls will actually lower you chances of catching Necrozma.
- If you don’t have a Master Ball, buy a large quantity of Ultra Balls. It may require a dozen or two attempts, but the Ultra Ball will eventually capture Necrozma.
- Bring Pokemon that are about Level 60+ to fight Necrozma for a fair fight.
- Use Ground Type special moves against Necrozma to weaken it. Necrozma is Psychic Type, and uses Iron Defense to increase its defense sharply.
- Once you’ve weakened Necrozma, use Yawn / Hypnosis or other moves to make it fall asleep as you attempt to catch it.
And that’s how you can capture the last Legendary Pokemon in Sun / Moon.
Find even more Pokemon Sun & Moon guides, how-to’s and tutorials on Gameranx:
- 20 Useful Tips & Tricks Pokemon Sun / Moon Doesn’t Tell You
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 100% Zygarde Guide | Cores & Cells Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: The Best Shiny Pokemon Farming Method
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Efficiently Level Up Poke Pelago
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Find These NPCs For Free Pokemon | Gifts Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Daily Events You Won’t Want to Miss
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Easy Way to Raise Happiness | Friendship Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How To Stop Evolutions | No Everstone Required
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Everything You Need to Know About Pikachu
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Get Your Munchlax Mystery Gift & Snorlium-Z Now
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Where to Find New Moves | All TM Locations
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Generation 7 Evolution Requirements Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Learn New Pokeball Throw Styles
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Catch Ditto | Rare Pokemon Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Boost Base Stats Fast | EV Farming Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All Pokemon QR Codes | Complete Gallery
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Evolve | Evolution Stones Locations Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: 6 New Features That Change Everything
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: How to Transfer Pokedex | Compatibility Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Z-Crystal Locations | Z-Moves Unlock Guide
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: All the Version Exclusive Pokemon | Full List
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Demo Secrets Guide & Special Events Calendar
- Pokemon Sun & Moon: Preload Available Now | How to Get 12 Free Quick Balls