Getting 100% completion in Resident Evil 7 is far from impossible. It’s actually not that bad if you unlock the extra equipment and learn all the item / upgrade locations in your first playthrough. Return runs to finish Madhouse Difficulty and the 4-hour speedrun are much easier with extra unlocked and a full understanding of the house at your disposal. Here’s how we recommend you play through the game:
- Play on Normal: Collect all notes / antique coins / Mr. Everywhere statues. Finish challenge achievement / trophies and clean up optional unlockables.
- Play on Madhouse: Focus on finishing the game and getting all 33 antique coins.
- Play the 4-hour speedrun: Now that you know the layout, you can complete the game in four hours or less. It’s possible to complete the game in less than 2 hours, so 4 isn’t as tight as it might seem.
Speedrunning is all about memorizing the puzzle steps and completing things as quickly as possible. Do the absolute minimum of backtracking, don’t save often, and always push for the next objective. Don’t waste time fighting enemies when you can run by them.
100% Completion Achievement / Trophy Guide
Completion – Achievements / Trophies
The following achievement / trophies are unlocked as you complete each difficulty level. Beating the game on Normal will also unlock the Easy achievement / trophy. If you pre-ordered, it’s possible to start Madhouse from the beginning, but we suggest starting on Normal and graduating up to Madhouse once you’ve cleaned up those annoying challenge achievements / trophies.
- Playing it Safe
- Complete the game on Easy.
- The Nightmare’s Finally Over
- Complete the game on Normal.
- Who’s Your Daddy Now?
- Complete the game on Madhouse.
Endings – Achievements / Trophies
Endings are determined by one choice — who you give the serum to. You can give the serum to Zoe or Mia after fighting the giant Jack mutant in the Boat House. If you select Zoe, you’ll get Ending 2 — if you select Mia, you’ll get Ending 1.
- End of the Night
- Get ending 1.
- Just A Memory Now
- Get ending 2.
Challenges – Achievements / Trophies
This section is dedicated to challenging combat-oriented or optional activity achievements / trophies. These can be missed, but many are very easy to complete.
- Behind Closed Doors
- Close an open door by yourself.
Very simple. Press [A] or [Cross] to open / shut doors. After walking through a door, turn around and interact to close it. Easy, and useful for evading Stalkers or Molded.
- Arms in the Air
- Block an enemy attack by guarding.
Also easy. Hold [LB] or [L1] to raise your arms and block incoming attacks. You can block attacks during any enemy encounter. When facing Jack Baker or a Molded early in the game, hold block and absorb the attack to unlock.
- Obtain something by closely examining an item.
When you examine an item, there’s a chance you can examine something inside. In the Main House 1F Laundry Room save area, there’s an orange box you can interact with on the shelf. Spin it around and interact with the lock mechanism, then collect the Lock Pick to easily unlock this achievement / trophy.
Can also be unlocked before entering the Guest House. In the pile of burning debris, examine Mia’s bag to locate her ID.
- Master of Unlocking
- Use a lock pick to open something.
The first lock pick is found on the ground just as you start the Guest House VHS tape. But, there are more in-game. These items are very rare — the first obvious one is located in the Main House 1F, Laundry Room. Look on the metal cabinets near the exit door to find an metal box. Examine it to open and grab the lock pick.
Lock picks are used on simple locks that don’t require special keys or puzzles. You’ll find a locked drawer down the hall from the Laundry Room, across from the Garage hallway. Find all the lock pick locations with the guide here:
- Nice Try
- Put an unrelated object on a shadow plinth.
There are three total shadow projector puzzles you can interact with in Resident Evil 7, but the first is available in the Main Hall. Normally, you’ll need to place the Wooden Statuette on the shadow plinth. To complete this challenge, simply use a different key item.
At this stage in the game, you can use the Clock Pendulum, or one of the two Dog’s Head statues available in the Main House. Make sure you use the wrong item before completing the puzzle, or it will be locked off. Another shadow plinth appears in the Old House, and one is hidden in the Yard.
- Open Your Eyes
- Use psychostimulants.
Psychostimulants are a special consummable drug that allows you to see every hidden item in the environment. They’re especially useful for spotting hidden items that you might not notice otherwise. You only need to use one Psychostimulant to unlock this trophy / achievement.
Find your first Psychostimulant in the Drawing Room, on the coffee table. This area is accessed after you complete the first shadow projector puzzle and crawl through the narrow space.
- In the Bag
- Increase your item slots.
There are three inventory upgrade backpacks found in RE7. To unlock this achievement / trophy, you only need to find one. The first item slot upgrade is found in the Old House save room, past the Gallery and inside the Save Room accessible on the wooden walkway.
Get all three backpack locations here:
- Things Got Personal
- Finish off an enemy with the knife.
By far the easiest way to unlock this achievement / trophy is to sneak up on one of the giant fly insects in the Old House and stabbing it. Yes, they count toward this challenge. If you don’t move too fast, you can sneak up on a giant bug and destroy it in a single swipe.
- Slash Slash, Slashity Slash!
- Clear insects off a door using a knife.
This counts for doors and for metal cabinets in the Old House. After meeting Marguerite, you’ll find some cabinets / doors covered with gross spiders. Bring a health item and just keep slashing at the door. It takes some time, but you can clear out the bugs one swarm at a time. They’re very likely to hit you though, bugs will attack from covered doors / cabinets seemingly at random, with no telegraph.
- Less is More
- Take down two or more enemies with one shot.
The M37 Shotgun is a good choice if you’re dealing with the giant insects found in the Old House. One blast with two insects on-screen will always result in two kills. But, there’s an easier way to guarantee a kill.
After gaining the Crow Key, get the Grenade Launcher from the Drawing Room, inside the Supplies closet. This powerful weapon can usually kill two Molded in a single shot, and you’ll have plenty of encounters with 2+ Molded in the Salt Mine or Swamp. Neuro Rounds are especially effective.
- That’s a Spicy Meat-a-ball
- Kill an enemy by attaching a Remote Bomb to them and detonating it.
Once you reach the Wrecked Ship, Remote Bombs will begin appearing. You can only attach a remote bomb to an enemy when it grapples you — usually this occurs when a Molded pounces and pins you to the ground. Stay at a healthy distance, and a Molded will launch itself at you. While on the ground, place the bomb like you normally would and detonate.
Remote Bombs first appear in the “Old Videotape” sequence, but can be used at any point in the Wrecked Ship, or after leaving the area.
- 1st Place at the Science Fair
- Create all items that contain Chem Fluid and Strong Chem Fluid.
There are eight items you can create with Chem Fluid / Strong Chem Fluid. Here’s every combination:
- Chem Fluid Recipes
- Chem Fluid + Herb = x1 First Aid Med
- Chem Fluid + Gunpowder = x10 Handgun Ammo
- Chem Fluid + Solid Fuel = x100 Burner Fuel
- Chem Fluid + Supplements = x1 Psychostimulants
- Strong Chem Fluid Recipes
- Strong Chem Fluid + Herb = x1 Strong First Aid Med
- Strong Chem Fluid + Gunpowder = x10 Enhanced Handgun Ammo
- Strong Chem Fluid + Solid Fuel = x2 Flame Rounds
- Strong Chem Fluid + Supplements = x2 Neuro Rounds
Simply mix up each item to complete this achievement. If you’re low on supplements (the rarest crafting item), try using Separating Fluid on one of the Psychostimulants you’ll find as you explore the Baker Estate. For more chem fluid locations and crafting tips, check out our guide:
- Just Get Me Outta Here
- Complete the game within 4 hours.
One of the toughest challenges in RE7, this requires knowing every step of the story to avoid wasting time. You’ll need key item locations and puzzle solutions before exploring, but if you’ve played the game more than once, a 4-hour speedrun is very possible.
For simple step-by-step instructions explaining the goals (and key items) of every locations, here’s our low-spoilers complete story walkthrough.
- Resource Manager
- Complete the game without opening the Item Box more than 3 times.
During the events of RE7, you’ll be forced to use the Item Box at least 3 times. Here are all the times you’ll need to use the Item Box:
- Before entering the “Party Room” in the Testing Area.
- After escaping the “Party Room” and before entering the Boat House.
- After leaving the Wrecked Ship.
That means you cannot open the Item Box outside of those three instances. Just remember, don’t pick up items you don’t need, and you can remove optional items to make space for Key Items. Get the backpack inventory upgrades as soon as you can, and try to memorize item locations so can you go back and grab what you need later.
- Walk it Off
- Complete the game using only 3 First Aid Meds or less.
Very tricky, but possible. This challenge doesn’t say anything about using Herbs — you’ll be able to use Herbs to your heart’s content. Steroids also refill your health completely when used, and don’t count against you in this achievement / trophy.
This achievement / trophy is easier to unlock after getting both “The Essence of Defense” and “The Secret of Defense” — one is unlocked for completing the game, and the other is unlocked for destroying all 20 collectible statues. Equip both manuals, and your block will negate 100% damage from all attacks.
Videotapes – Achievements / Trophies
- Can’t Catch Me
- Complete the “Mia” videotape without being spotted by Marguerite.
In this VHS tape, found in the Recreation Room on the second floor of the Main House, Mia must sneak by Marguerite in the Old House. There are, truly, only two instances you’ll need to escape from her.
- Entering the hallway, hide behind the crate while Marguerite goes into the kitchen. Sneak into the gallery.
- To evade Marguerite in the gallery, go out onto the back porch and hide in the corner to the right, behind the door.
- Later, after solving the shadow plinth puzzle, sneak into the crawlspace past the stairs on the right to successfully complete this section.
If you are caught, you can always restart and attempt to escape without being spotted again.
- Out Before Dessert
- Complete the “Happy Birthday” videotape within 5 minutes.
Completing Lucas’ devious puzzle isn’t so bad if you know exactly what to do. Here’s a super-quick rundown of all the steps you’ll need to finish fast:
- Take the candle to the cake room. Collect the key and open the padlock to get the doll (Hangman, Bell, Fetus).
- Turn on the oven, re-light the candle and burn the doll to get the finger.
- Burn the rope on the door with the candle and get the deflated balloon. Use the balloon on the gas leak pipe next to the kitchen to get the quill.
- Use the finger, quill, and key on the clown mannequin to get the code “LOSER”. Use the code on the padlock in the balloon hallway to get the valve.
- Use the valve on the pipe in the cake room, then re-light the candle and place it on the cake.
That’s how to solve the puzzle. If you’re fast, you’ll earn this achievement / trophy. For a more detailed guide, along with steps for other puzzles, check out this guide.
- Be Kind, Please Rewind
- Watch all the videotapes in a single playthrough.
There are four videotapes in RE7, although one can’t be missed. Here are all the locations.
- Videotape #1: Guest House 2F, Save Room — [Derelict House Footage] On the dresser drawer, to the right of the save point on the second floor.
- Videotape #2: Main House 2F, Recreation Room — [Mia] On the bar of the Recreation Room, to the left of the TV with VCR. Very convenient, right?
- Videotape #3: Main House 3F, Attic — [Happy Birthday] After unlocking the Kid’s Room door on the second floor, climb up into the attic and open the cupboard to find this tape.
- Videotape #4: Wrecked Ship 3F, Security — [Old Videotape] This tape can’t be missed. It’s story-related, but you’ll find it in the Security Room, on the third floor of the Wrecked Ship.
Collectibles – Achievements / Trophies
There are plenty of collectibles to find in RE7. Getting them all is an extensive, time-consuming task, so we’ve split duties into multiple separate articles. Follow the links under each achievement / trophy entry for a full locations guide, complete with pictures and descriptions for each collectible.
- Pelicans in Your Pocket
- Obtain all of the Antique Coins in Easy or Normal difficulty.
- Mad Pelicans
- Obtain all of the Antique Coins in Madhouse difficulty.
- The Devil Is in the Details
- Read all of the files in a single playthrough.
- He’s Here, There, Everywhere!
- Destroy a Mr. Everywhere statuette.
- Mr. Nowhere
- Destroy all Mr. Everywhere statuettes.
Bosses / Stalkers – Achievements / Trophies
The following achievements / trophies can be unlocked during boss fights or stalker encounters.
- Back Off, Mrs. B!
- Fight off Marguerite while she wanders the old house to make her run away.
Marguerite is the lantern-holding lady that stalks the Old House area. She appears after collecting the Stone Statuette. Making Marguerite retreat requires the Burner — when she sees spots you, she spawns swarms of bugs that can only be killed with the Burner. Bring plenty of Burner fuel to make her retreat.
- Duck If You Love Life
- Avoid Jack’s scissor attack by crouching.
This can be earned during the second phase of the Jack Baker boss battle in the Processing Area, Morgue. When Jack collects his giant motorized scissors, wait for him to prepare to clip your head off — he’ll hold the blades wide and rear back before thrusting forward. Simply duck to avoid this attack.
- Fly Swatter
- Shoot and knock back Marguerite while she’s leaping at you.
Whether crawling on the ceiling or walls, the mutant Marguerite encountered in the Greenhouse section of the Old House will attempt to pounce if you’re too far away to grab. The MAG 44 or the Shotgun will work to knock her back mid-leap.
And that’s it! There’s everything you need to 100% RE7. Drop us a comment if there’s something we missed, or something we need to add. If you have your own awesome tips / tricks for completing these, let us know!
More Resident Evil 7 guides, walkthroughs, tips and tricks on Gameranx:
- Resident Evil 7: How to Use the Toy Axe & Model Shotgun | Puzzles Guide
- Resident Evil 7: All Stabilizers & Steriods Locations | Upgrades Guide
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – Here’s What You Unlock For Finishing RE7
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – How to Get the Dissection Key | Puzzle Guide
- Resident Evil 7: Free Items & Upgrades | Treasure Map Locations Guide
- Resident Evil 7: How to Repair Both Broken Guns | Best Weapons Guide
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – On The Cheap | Best Deals & Lowest Prices
- Resident Evil 7: Demo – Complete Secrets Walkthrough | Dirty Coin Guide
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – The Big Gun Guide | All Weapon Locations
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – Herbs Guide | All Healing Item Locations
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – How to Beat Every Boss | Tips Guide
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – Master of Unlocking Guide | Lock Pick Location
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – Trophy List [No Spoilers]