Dead Island 2 is all about brutalizing the gory undead hordes with your favorite splatterific weapons — absolutely wrecking the undead with weird, wacky tools of destruction. The weapons are as over-the-top as the Hollywood personalities you’ll encounter in an apocalyptic L.A. and if you search in just the right spots, you’ll be armed to the teeth before leaving Beverly Hills. We’ve identified five awesome weapons in the early game you really don’t want to miss out on. Some of them can be missed. Some are related to quests. All of them are immensely useful for grab them right away.
Dead Island 2 is the long-awaited sequel to the abandoned Dead Island franchise. The original developers moved on to the Dying Light games, while Dead Island 2 was a promise that wasn’t fulfilled for too long. It’s been 10 years since the 2013 release of Dead Island: Riptide, the last true entry, and we’re finally getting a return to first person melee (mostly) combat against undead hordes. And according to reviews (us included) this latest game is a solid winner. Now you can make your survivor protagonist into a solid winner with these great early game weapon pick-ups.
Weapons You Don’t Want To Miss
Most of the weapons here are Rare tier, which only begin spawning in Beverly Hills, the third map of the game. As a bonus, there’s a useful early weapon right outside the entrance to the Halperin Hotel — that’s the second map in the game.
[Bonus – Optional] Slaughtering Claws: Halperin Hotel – Found in an open shipping container in the far, far northeast corner of the map. Reach the very edge of the map on the roads to find a series of shipping containers. One is open and contains this fast pair of sharp claws.
After exploring the Halperin Hotel and returning to the mansion, you’ll finally travel to Beverly Hills.
Electrocutor Officer’s Sword: Beverly Hill – Start the “The Clean & Snatch” quest, available in the pool just outside your safe house in Beverly Hills. Begin the quest by collecting the item in the pool. Grab it from the container in the water. The container is locked. To get inside, we need to find Obi’s Key.
- Go to the nearby white house backyard (northeast house) to collect Dave’s Phone — it is located on a reclining chair by the pool.
- Return to Michael’s House (north center on the map) and look in the empty pool. You’ll find the Note for Michael.
- Next, travel to Bel-Air and return to the Goat Pen mansion — that’s the very large colorful mansion in the southeast of the map. Defeat Obi The Pool Guy (a unique zombie) when you approach the pool. Collect Obi’s Key, then return to Beverly Hills. Use Obi’s Key to open the container in the pool.
- This is an electrified sword that stunlocks enemies, letting you slice them to pieces easily. This is one of the best melee weapons at the start of the game.
Defiant Hunting Knife: Beverly Hills – This powerful weapon is located in Michael’s Home. This is the house in the center-north of the map. You’ll automatically visit during the story quest “O Michael, Where Art Thou?“.
- Return to Michael’s to find a unique zombie called “Michael’s Protege” in the front yard / entrance to the pool. Kill it to collect his safe key. The safe is located under the television in the family room.
Random Rare Tier Weapon: Beverly Hills – Located behind a locked door in the northeast-most mansion. Go to the mansion and use the fuse box to open the garage. Fuses can be purchased from any Trader for 1,500. There’s a trader in Jessie’s House in the center of the map.
- The Slayer Hoard crate always drops a rare-tier weapon. We got a Zombie Sword.
- This is the same house where you’ll find Dave’s Phone during the Electocutor Officer’s Sword side-quest.
Electrocutor Pole Saw: Beverly Hills – Complete the ‘Resurrect the Rex‘ side-quest. After rescuing Jessie from the Construction Site, return to the hub house and talk to Rikky.
- For this quest, you’ll need to travel to the white northeast mansion to find three lost records. The first is one a unique zombie called Farouk on the first floor. The next is on the second floor. Smash the crates and disable the generator to reach it. The last record is on the third-floor balcony. Wipe out the crowd of zombies to reach it.
Relentless Military Axe: Halperin Hotel – Return to the hotel after completing the main story quest in Monarch Studios. Complete the side-quest available here, and then leave the hotel lobby. Just outside the main doors, you’ll find a unique zombie called the Military Courier. Defeat this zombie to get the Courier’s key.
- The key unlocks a case in the hotel lobby. It is on the raised balcony to the near the front doors — to the left just as you enter.
Sporting Rifle: Beverly Hills – Complete the “Justifiable Zombicide” quest and you can’t miss this powerful scoped rifle. This is one of the quests you’ll be able to take while in Beverly Hills, so you really can’t miss this gun. Still, it’s one of our favorites for taking out powerful zombies from a distance.
- This mission becomes available after returning from Monarch Studios.
That covers only weapons in the early areas of the game. There are many more waiting to be collected in the vast expanses of L.A. Keep following Gameranx for many, many more guides.