Every character in Fire Emblem: Three Houses has a Personal Ability that is totally unique to that character. Many of them, you might not even realize you have — and they’re all very useful to keep in mind when fighting foes or slaying giant beasts. Some of these abilities can actually be made useless — some characters are stronger when deployed without Battalions for example.
All the characters have a Personal Ability, and that ability carries over no matter what happens. It’s a permanent ability, and some of them are incredibly powerful if you use them the right way. Even the Neutral Teachers have Personal Abilities, so it’s best to recruit them early or you might lose them forever.
Four characters actually get upgraded Personal Abilities. The Avatar, Byleth, and the three faction leaders all get upgraded Personal Abilities in Part 2. All other characters retain their normal Personal Abilities, and don’t change between the two parts of the story.
More Fire Emblem: Three Houses guides:
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – 12 Tips To Optimize Your Time | Beginner’s Guide
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – How To Unlock Every Class | All Class Requirements List
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – How To Recruit Every Character | Recruitment Guide
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – How To Get ‘S’ Support | All Romance Options Guide
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – The Best Classes For Every Character | Fast Growth Guide
See What Makes Every Character Unique | All Personal Abilities Guide
Every character has an innate ability that gives them a permanent buff. Each ability is unique to that character, and they only have one.
- Byleth: +20 XP gained for Byleth and adjacent allies.
- Upgraded: +2 Damage Dealt buff to adjacent allies.
Neutral Monastery Characters
- Alois: +8 LCK to allies with the Rally command.
- Catherine: -5 Damage Received when deployed without a Battalion.
- Cyril: +20% chance that each individual stat will increase on level up.
- Flayn: -3 Damage Received to adjacent allies.
- Gilbert: -2 Damage Received when deployed with a Battalion.
- Hanneman: +4 MAG to allies with the Rally command.
- Jeralt: -6 STR / DEF to foe for 1 turn if that foe damages Jeralt in combat.
- Manuela: +10 CRIT AVO to adjacent allies in combat.
- Seteth: +3 Damage to adjacent female allies.
- Shamir: +4 STR / SPD / DEX / MAG for 1 turn after defeating a foe.
Black Eagle House
- Bernadetta: +5 Damage when below 100% HP.
- Caspar: -10 AVO to adjacent foes.
- Dorothea: +10% HP gained for adjacent allies at the start of each turn.
- Edelgard: +20% XP Gained.
- Upgraded: Take no action to gain +4 RES for 1 Turn.
- Ferdinand: +15 AVO and Hit when at 100% HP.
- Hubert: +5 Gambit MT
- Linhardt: Restores 10% HP if no action is taken that turn.
- Petra: +20 CRIT when foe has less than 50% HP.
Blue Lion House
- Annette: +4 STR when Rally command is used on this unit.
- Ashe: Automatically gains the Lockpick ability. Can open any chest.
- Dedue: +4 DEF for 1 turn if no action is taken.
- Dimitri: +20% XP Gained
- Upgraded: +20 AVO when at 100% HP.
- Felix: +5 Damage when not deployed with a Battalion.
- Ingrid: +5 Hit and +3 MT when using Gambit.
- Mercedes: Heals the user the same amount as allies when using Faith magic.
- Sylvain: -2 Damage Received and +2 Damage to Attacks when adjacent to a female ally.
Golden Deer House
- Claude: +20% XP Gained
- Upgraded: Unlocks Pass Ability — Allows unit to walk through enemy units.
- Hilda: +3 Damage to Male Allies that are adjacent to this unit.
- Ignatz: +20 to Hit
- Leonie: -2 Damage Received and +2 Damage to Attacks when adjacent to a male ally.
- Lorenz: When deployed with a Battalion, +2 to Damage.
- Lysithea: x2 XP earned from combat.
- Marianne: +20% HP restored at the start of a turn when near an ally that flies or is on horseback.
- Raphael: Has a chance to restore HP, based on Luck stat.
More Fire Emblem: Three Houses guides on Gameranx:
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – How To Get Rare Blacksmith Materials | Forge Crafting Guide
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – The Best Gifts To Give To All Your Students | Support Guide
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – How To Earn Cash & Increase Professor Level With Fishing
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – Recruit Anyone, Even If You Don’t Have The Skills, With This Brute Force Method
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – Use This Method To Easily Increase Skills To S+ | Grinding Guide
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – How To Unlock The Missable Dancer Class | White Heron Cup Guide
- Fire Emblem: Three House – Lost Items Guide | Who To Return Lost Items To