Legendary Shards are the new Strange Coins in Destiny 2: New Light.
While this system has been in place for awhile now, it’s something we haven’t even touched in the intervening year between major new updates to Destiny 2. It’s time to shake off the dust and learn about how Xur, Agent of the Nine and his Legendary Shard special currency works in this new Shadowkeep, Year 3 era.
What’s the point of Legendary Shards? You can spend these valuable doo-dads at Xur, Agent of the Nine. This wily vendor appears with a different set of Exotic items for sale every week. If you’re looking for endgame guns and gears, Xur is the man to see. Just make sure you bring a stack of Legendary Shards to exchange.
More Destiny 2: New Light guides:
- Destiny 2: New Light – Everything You Can Do On Day 1 | F2P Guide
- Destiny 2: Shadowkeep – How To Complete The Moon Public Events | Heroic Guide
- Destiny 2: New Light – How To Start Every Story Campaign
- Destiny 2: New Light – Here’s How The New Power Level System Works | 950 PL Guide
How To Get Legendary Shards | Year 3 Xur Guide
Legendary Shards have two distinct uses — you can use them to purchase wares from Xur, Agent of the Nine or you can spend them for Infusions.
Xur sells Exotic Weapons and Armor. Exotic guns go for 23 Legendary Shards, while Exotic Armor costs 29 Legendary Shards. You can also purchase a special Fated / Isochronal Engram for 97 Legendary Shards which is guaranteed to give you a non-quest armor / weapon that you haven’t found yet.
- NOTE: Xur will always spawn on the planet chosen for the weekly Flashpoint.
There are multiple ways to obtain Legendary Shards, so let’s go over all the basics.
Dismantling the right items will earn you Legendary Shards.
- Dismantle Exotic Gear (5 Legendary Shards)
- Dismantle Legendary Gear (3 Legendary Shards)
- Dismantle Non-Eververse Shaders (1 Legendary Shard)
Purchase From The Spider (Tangled Shore)
The Spider sells a variety of Infusion materials. Legendary Shards are one of them.
Complete Objectives, Nightfalls, Challenges & More
Completing lots of different events can earn you Legendary Shards.
- Complete special Bounties
- Complete weekly Flashpoints
- Complete weekly Nightfalls
- Complete objectives in Raids
Found In Loot
Finally, you can loot some Legendary Shards. They aren’t common, and some loot sources will only drop them rarely.
- Found in Lost Sector Chests
- Found in Raid Chests
- Found very rarely in Region Chests
- Dropped very rarely by Strike bosses on defeat
More Destiny 2: Forsaken guides on Gameranx:
- Destiny 2: Forsaken – Last Wish Raid Guide | How To Beat Every Boss & Puzzle Encounter
- Destiny 2: Forsaken – 8 Essential Tips To Help You Master Gambit Mode | Beginner’s Guide
- Destiny 2: Forsaken – How To Unlock New Supers | Visions of Light Guide
- Destiny 2: Forsaken – Paul McCartney Returns In This Hilarious Lost Sector | Easter Egg Guide
- Destiny 2: Forsaken – How To Unlock The Dreaming City | Awoken Talisman Quest Guide
- Destiny 2: Forsaken – How To Use Small Gifts & Secret Cats | Reverie Armor Unlock Guide