Want to get the best gear in Diablo 4? All you need to do is hunt Rare Elites. Rare Elites are special, named enemies that appear in the open-world environment — and they drop special items you’ll only find off these specific enemies. At a specific level range, these enemies will drop maximum Item Power gear that’s also cheap to upgrade or enchant. To get the most out of these elites, you’ll also want to target only the elites that drop weapons — armor and accessories just don’t drop at the same strength level, making them a little useless if you’re farming at Level 75 or higher.
Even if you’re not aiming to unlock the best possible gear, you can still farm these elites much earlier for powerful gear. To get the best Item Level stuff though, you’ll need to reach World Tier 4 and unlock Ancestral tier drops. You’ll also need to be at least Level 75 — at that point, you’ll be able to get drops that are Item Level 842~ which is about the maximum. You can push the item level higher through upgrades and other enhancements, but that’s as high as gear will drop on its own. Learn more in the full guide below.
More Diablo 4 guides:
All Guides & Walkthroughs | Class Overview | Necromancer Shadowblight Minions Build | Barbarian Unconstrained Berserk Build | Golem Summoning | Accessibility Options To Change First | Potion Upgrades & Increase Max Capacity | Unlocking Horses | Silent Chests & Whispering Keys | Secret of the Spring Quest Solution | Early Game Loot Farm
What Are Rare & Unique Elites?
Rare Elites are special elite monsters that appear on the world map — they will spawn in specific locations, and each Rare Elite drops a specific item that you can only get from these enemies. They are rare and don’t always drop, but you can farm these enemies by reseting the map. Hunting these enemies, you can get the highest Item Power gear in the game. You need to be a certain level and World Tier before the best possible gear will drop. Rare Elites can also spawn as special Unique Elites — these drop some of the best loot in the game.
Before farming Rare Elites, here’s what you need to do.
- Rare Elite enemies are named monsters that drop special named gear that will only be dropped by a Rare Elite.
- Rare Elites are found on the World Map. They will spawn in specific locations in Sanctuary.
- Before attempting to farm, reach World Tier 4 and reach Level 75 — these enemies are still worth farming, but if you want the best possible drops, you need to be at this level minimum.
- At WT4 / Level 75 or higher, these elites can drop Ancestral
- Rare Elites will rarely appear as a white dot on the minimap. This indicates that a Unique Elite has spawned. These are the best mobs to hunt!
The weapons from these elites can spawn at the item level cap of 840. Upgrades and enchantments are extremely cheap for these weapons — what we want are Ancestral drops for the biggest possible item power drop. Once you’ve reached Level 75 and playing on World Tier 4, you can start farming.
How To Farm Rare Elites
Rare Elites (and rarely Unique Elites) spawn at the locations listed below. The only Rare Elites you need to know are the ones that drop weapons.
- How To Farm: Go to the location listed below and wait. Rare Elites will respawn while you’re standing in the same spot. No need to hard reset. It is totally random when Rare Elites will spawn — wait at the spawn point. They can spawn as quickly as one minute after a kill.
Go to the locations marked on the map below. Each item can drop at Item Power 842+ — and this is all before the new Season.
- Rare Elite: Claudia Dayne – Drops Haunted Crossbow [Crossbow]
- Dismal Foothills, Hawezar – Found in a small arena southwest of the Light’s Refuge dungeon.
- Rare Elite: Qiniel – Drops Qin’s Captivating Eye [Focus]
- Southern Expanse, Kehjistan – In the field just southwest of Omath’s Redoubt Stronghold.
- Rare Elite: Nine-Eyes – Drops Broodmother’s Stinger [Dagger]
- Ragged Coastline, Kehjistan – Between Forgotten Ruins and Heretics Asylum in an arena.
- Rare Elite: Abe-Mari – Drops Wand of Abe-Mari [Wand]
- Amber Sands, Kehjistan – Found right next to the Pilgrim’s Footsteps side-quest, west of Altar of Ruin Stronghold.
- Rare Elite: Almunn – Drops Infernal Edge [Two-Handed Sword]
- The Scarred Coast, Dry Steppes – In a narrow cave passage along the coast north of Komdor Temple.
- Rare Elite: “Wrathful” Oscar Reede – Drops Mace of Blazing Furor [Mace]
- The Pallid Glade, Fractured Peaks – South of Nostrava Stronghold in a small arena.
- Rare Elite: Sir Lynna – Drops Darkblade [One-Handed Sword]
- Frigid Expanse, Fractured Peaks – Very near to Forsaken Quarry, just west of the dungeon. Find this spot north of Kyovashad.
- Rare Elite: Corlin Hulle – Drops Staff of Elemental Command [Staff]
- Seat of the Heavens, Fractured Peaks – In the field directly north of Hoarfrost Demise, near Kor Valar Cathedral.