In Red Dead Online, there is one feature players clamored for from the beginning — the ability to play in a solo lobby without interruption from other players.
Other players are the best and worst thing about Red Dead Online, and hunting, fishing, or just exploring can either be a delightful experience or an annoying slog if a posse decides to start griefing you. There are systems in place to stop players from simply killing you over and over, but even these systems can be exploited. Hence, some players just want to play online solo and soak in the atmosphere without the ever-present threat of murder hanging over their heads.
And no it seems like there’s a way to enter a solo lobby (semi) permanently. You’ll need to take advantage of an in-game feature, but this is a perfectly legit method.
More Red Dead Redemption 2 guides on Gameranx:
- Red Dead Online: Everything You Need To Know | 17 Frequently Asked Questions
- Red Dead Online: How To Stop Griefers & Hostile Players | Feud & Parley Guide
- Red Dead Online: Earn 10,000+ XP Per Hour With This Trick | Fast Rank Up Guide
- Red Dead Online: All Gang Hideouts Locations | Treasure Maps Drop Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: 36 Tips, Tricks & Hidden Mechanics | What The Game Doesn’t Explain
- Red Dead Redemption 2: 15 Features You Might Not Know About | Beginner’s Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Get Unlimited Ammo, Super Horses & More | Cheat Codes List
How To Enter A Solo Lobby | Stranger Mission Guide
Entering a solo lobby — meaning, you’ll enter an instance of the RDO map with no other players present — is incredibly simple. You might not even realize that you’ve done it.
- How To Enter A Solo Lobby: Start any Stranger Mission marked on your map to enter a solo lobby.
- For a permanent Solo Lobby, talk to the Stranger Joe — he is located east of Emerald Ranch in New Hanover.
Players say that any and all Stranger Missions will activate a solo lobby, but some of them will repopulate. It isn’t confirmed which ones will fill back up, and which ones won’t, but if you start a Stranger Mission, you don’t have to finish it. You can avoid completing it and just sit in your solo lobby for as long as you want.
The only stranger that’s confirmed to keep you in a permanent Solo Lobby is “Joe”, the stranger located east of Emerald Ranch. This tip was originally shared and tested by Redditor u/TylerBoTheye. Give it a try yourself, and see if this little trick works!
Because we’re still in the beta, it isn’t clear whether this trick is intended by Rockstar, or if this method will remain in the game even when it fully releases later. Maybe there will be a simpler system, allowing you to switch lobbies like in GTAO? There’s no way to know what the developer is planning, so just be aware that this method might change in the near future.
More RDR2 guides on Gameranx:
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Solve Every Treasure Map | Locations Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Where To Find A Fairytale Hill House | Easter Egg Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Earn Money Fast | Easy Cash Guide ($3,000+)
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Get A (Free!) Elite Horse | Taming Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Unlock Free Fast-Travel | All Fast Travel Methods Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: All Legendary Hunting Locations | Master Hunting Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Where To Find The Legendary Fishing Map | Fishing Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Get Perfect Pelts | Hunting Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Where To Find Secret Weapons | Unique Gun Locations Guide