A big portion to Red Dead Redemption 2 is the wildlife that inhabitants the land. You’ll find everything from common rabbits to big game such as bears. Don’t expect to run without caution and gun your prey down as hunting will require a bit more finesse. Outside of accurately tracking down your prey, you’ll need to acquire the right weapons and skillfully take the animal down in a way that will provide you with the resources you’re after.
If you’re on the hunt for legendary game then we can lend a few tips and tricks that could prove useful. Within our guide below we showcase the legendary animals available in the game, where to find them among important notes to take the notion of during your big expedition.
More Red Dead Redemption 2 guides on Gameranx:
- Red Dead Redemption 2: 36 Tips, Tricks & Hidden Mechanics | What The Game Doesn’t Explain
- Red Dead Redemption 2: 15 Features You Might Not Know About | Beginner’s Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Get Unlimited Ammo, Super Horses & More | Cheat Codes List
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Solve Every Treasure Map | Locations Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Where To Find A Fairytale Hill House | Easter Egg Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Earn Money Fast | Easy Cash Guide ($3,000+)
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Get A (Free!) Elite Horse | Taming Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Unlock Free Fast-Travel | All Fast Travel Methods Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Where To Find The Legendary Fishing Map | Fishing Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: How To Get Perfect Pelts | Hunting Guide
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Where To Find All The Strangers | Quests Locations
How To Get Legendary Animal Locations Map
Towards the start of the game, you can get access to a map that pinpoints all of the legendary animals you can hunt. First, you need to progress the story far enough that the Horseshoe Overlook camp is established in Valentine. Head to the horse stable area and speak with Hosea Matthews who will give you the map.
Hunting can provide a number of resources. Not only can you use it to raw materials and food, but taking it to a Trapper can provide players with more custom crafted items. In some cases, you’ll find yourself having to take down specific animals to gather the right materials for a Trapper to craft your desired item.
Locating Legendary Animals
When you have the map at your disposal, decide what animal you would like to hunt for then proceed to the area. You should eventually find a new icon on your map when a legendary animal is nearby which will also feature a crown over the animal icon. Furthermore, a message will appear stating the following.
You have entered Legendary Animal Territory. Hunt this Legendary Animal by finding and inspecting clues.
If the message doesn’t appear, you need to go out of the area and return. Keep this process up until you see the message.
How To Inspect Clues
Push the analog sticks in and you should locate clues. This may require some roaming around to find them, but eventually, you’ll find clues to lead you towards a trail.
Trinkets & Talismans
If you progress far enough in the game to unlock Fences then you can take certain items from your hunt and turn them into Trinkets or Talismans. With these items, you can gain an effect such as slower weapon degradation or increasing Eagle Eye duration.
- Study an animal for a while before you attempt to kill it. This will add valuable information to your compendium about the animal and the appropriate weapons to use against it.
- Bait can be purchased to attract animals. Lay the bait on the ground and hide in order for the animal to be attracted to it. For example, freshly killed carcasses can be used as bait for carnivores.
- Make animal calls with L2 + Square or Left Trigger + B.
Note: Use the legendary hunting map to find where these animals spawn. We explain how to get the map along with images of the map in our gallery above.
- Bharati Grizzly Bear
- Located: Lagras
- Panther Giaguaro
- Big Horn Ram
- White Bison
- Tatanka Bison