If you’re concerned with the amount of ammo you’re wasting in Fallout 76, why not try a melee build and start busting mutants open with two-handed attacks. There are a few simple tricks you can use to make melee a lot more viable in combat — and you might even want to add some mutations to your character. The kind that don’t turn you into a fetid, shambolic corpse.
Here, I’m going to share a few tips and tricks that might just come in handy for you adventurers out there. There’s a lot of new in Fallout 76, and it isn’t always clear how everything works. For instance, if you’ve picked up the Marsupial Mutation, you can pause combat in VATs mid-jump, and instantly leap into melee range! It’s incredibly useful, and gives you way more range when you’re busy thwacking everything in site with a baseball bat.
More Fallout 76 guides on Gameranx:
- Fallout 76: 10 Things You Should Do First | Power Armor Location & More | Beginner’s Guide
- Fallout 76: How To PVP Without Becoming Wanted | Bonus PVP Modes Guide
- Fallout 76: Power Armor Frames, Core Farming & Unique Set Locations Guide
- Fallout 76: How To Join The Enclave & Get The Laser Minigun | Faction Guide
- Fallout 76: Where To Find The ‘Rose’s Syringer’ Gun | Unique Weapon Guide
- Fallout 76: Where To Find The ‘Perfect Storm’ SMG | Unique Weapon Guide
- Fallout 76: How To Find A Hazmat Suit For Perfect Radiation Protection | Location Guide
- Fallout 76: Nuke Everything With The CAMP Artillery Schematic | Best Weapons Guide
- Fallout 76: How To Never Run Out Of Healing | Aid Items Tips & Tricks
Save Ammo With These Melee Build Tips | Best Builds Guide
For a successful melee build, you’ll want to drop points into three major areas: Strength, Endurance, Agility, and Luck.
The goal of this build is to boost damage from melee weapons (replace melee weapons with hand-to-hand if that’s what you want), take less damage, do more damage to armored enemies, and improve your criticals.
- Extra Tips:
- Marsupial: Gain this high-leaping mutation, and you can leap directly into enemy range. Jump into the air, then enter VATS. While in VATS, target an enemy and you’ll zip straight to them.
- Cannibalism: This is a must-have perk. Buy it and eat all the corpses you want. Just stash some RADAWAY to fight radiation poisoning. There are no other negative effects for eating corpses.
- Strength: As you level up, aim for Slugger, Expert Slugger, and Master Slugger.
- Blocker lowers enemy melee attacks by 45%.
- Incisor causes your melee attacks to ignore 75% of enemy armor. (You absolutely need this one.)
- Perception: Expert Picklock (You only need to put enough points in to keep picklock. Swap in different cards here when necessary.)
- Endurance: Any picks here are good. More HP is always a solid choice.
- Solar Powered gives you +3 STR and END during the day.
- Charisma: If you’re solo, you absolutely want to take Lone Wanderer.
- Lone Wanderer takes 20% less damage and gain 30% AP regen when travelling alone.
- Intelligence: Keep this one low. Nerd Rage! is all you really need.
- Nerd Rage! gives you 40 Damage Resist and boosts damage / AP regen by 20% and 30% when you’re below 20% health.
- Agility: Give yourself faster AP regen with Action Boy / Girl, and consider grabbing Dodgy.
- Dodgy lets you avoid 30% of incoming damage at the cost of 30 AP.
- Luck: Lucky is one of the most important stats purely for criticals.
- Better Criticals: An obvious pick. VATS criticals do 40% more damage.
- Four Leaf Clover: Hits in VATS have a higher chance of filling your critical meter.
- Critical Savvy: Critical Hits only consume 55% of your critical meter.