Riding the Brumak was a highlight of Gears of War 2, and now Gears of War 4 gets its own beast-riding Easter egg in the campaign’s prologue. This early secret was only recently found by the Gears community, and we can understand why — who would even attempt to ride one of those flying monsters? Well, someone gave it a shot, and it was totally worth it. Keep scrolling to find out guide showing you how to ride a Reaver in the Gears of War 4 campaign.
You don’t just get to ride it either. This is a fully-functional Reaver, allowing you to move around and unleash barrages of rockets on incoming enemies. It’s pretty crazy that this is all optional, and just goes to show the detail The Coalition stuffed into their first proper Gears of War entry after assuming developer duties from Epic Games.
Find even more weird little secrets on the Gears of War Easter Eggs Compendium, where you’ll find secret guns, giant leviathans, and a foul-mouthed Fenix.
How to Ride the Reaver – Easter Egg Guide
To ride a Locust Reaver, start up Act 1 – Chapter 0: Prologue and reach the section where you must defend the House of Sovereigns on E-Day. That’s the part where you get the Hammer of Dawn and use it on the Corpser.
- In Act 1 – Chapter 0: Prologue, get to the House of Sovereigns defense section.
- Kill the Corpser with the Hammer of Dawn. A cutscene will activate.
- Defeat the following wave of Locust soldiers and Boomers. The Reavers will land after this wave.
- Once the Reavers have landed — those big ugly flying creatures with pilots on top — you can begin.
When you’re in position, this is what you’ll have to do to ride on the back of a Reaver.
- How to Ride a Reaver: Kill the pilot after the Reaver lands, then run underneath the Reaver and press [X] as quickly as possible. If you want too long, the Reaver will die automatically.
Now you’re in control! Just check out this video by Youtuber TheRazoredEdge to see it in action.
So what does the Reaver actually do? It can’t fly unfortunately, but it’s still a super-powerful friend.
- The Reaver is under your command. You’ll have direct control over its movement.
- While riding the Reaver, you can fire rockets and kill the other Reavers in the area.
- You can also mount / dismount as often as you like, the Reaver is now tamed.
Pretty cool, right? We’re still on the lookout for Easter eggs in Gears of War 4, and we’ve got a sneaking suspicion there’s plenty more to discover.
Even more Gears of War 4 guides:
- Gears of War 4: Act 1 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 2 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 3 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 4 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 5 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide