Resident Evil 2 Remake makes a few major changes to the way the story plays out. Compared to the original, it’s actually a lot more straightforward — each character has their own unique story, and it won’t change drastically likes it does in the “A-Scenario” or “B-Scenario” versions in the original Resident Evil 2. But, there is still a True Ending with a bonus final boss to fight. If you’re familiar at all with those old PS1 games, then you’ll already know what to do.
It all boils down to that “Zapping” system. In the first Resident Evil, you could play as two separate characters. Each character featured slight variations on the formula when you played, and the same holds true in Resident Evil 2. But, Capcom also included a system where, depending on which character you played first, the second character would see completely new content in their version of the adventure. That’s both the same and very different in Resident Evil 2 Remake. Get all the details below.
More Resident Evil 2 Remake guides on Gameranx:
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: 10 Things You Need To Know | Beginner’s Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: How To Beat Every Boss | Boss Tips & Tricks Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: How To Solve Every Puzzle | All Solutions Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: How To Unlock Hunk, Tofu, Infinite Ammo & More | Bonus Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: All Key Items Locations | RPD Unlocking Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: How To Get Every Gun | All Weapons Locations Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: All Weapon Upgrade Locations | Gun Parts Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: All Pouch Locations | Inventory Expansion Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: All Mr. Raccoons Locations | Collectibles Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: How To Open Every Optional Lock & Safe | Code Solutions Guide
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: All Hint Film Roll Locations | ‘Treasure Hunter’ Guide
How To Unlock The True Ending | Endings Guide
[Work-in-Progress: Check back soon for screenshots and video.]
There are four endings in Resident Evil 2 Remake. The “Zapping” system from the original game is gone, but it still remains in an important way. By completing one character’s campaign, you’ll unlock a “B” scenario for the opposite character. The campaigns are basically the same, with only some minor variations in the “B” mode. Unlike the original game, each character has a unique story, and it doesn’t matter what order you play them in.
You can play the scenarios in whatever order you choose and still get the “true” ending on your first pair of completions — essentially, you need to complete Leon’s story and Claire’s story. Complete both stories, and you’ll get the true ending, and the true final boss. If you want to see the complete story, you’ll need to play through the game twice — once with each character.
Here’s a quick rundown of all the endings.
- Leon A Scenario Ending: Complete Leon’s “A” Scenario. Unlocks Claire’s “B” Scenario.
- Claire A Scenario Ending: Complete Claire’s “A” Scenario. Unlocks Leon’s “B” Scenario.
- Leon B Scenario Ending (True Ending): Complete Leon’s “B” Scenario to get the True Ending.
- Claire B Scenario Ending (True Ending): Complete Claire’s “B” Scenario to get the True Ending.
If you’re really, really curious and don’t mind HUGE SPOILERS, here’s a quick rundown of all the final bosses for each scenario. STOP HERE if you don’t want to be spoiled! As described above, the final bosses are actually unique to each character. Instead of changing with the “A” or “B” stories, the final boss is linked with the specific character you play as.
- Leon’s Final Boss: Mr. X, the hulking tyrant monster, is the final boss of Leon’s story.
- Claire’s Final Boss: William Birkin, the unstoppable, ever-evolving hybrid is the final boss of Claire’s story.
- True Ending Final Boss: To truly end the game, you’ll fight William Birkin’s final form.
Each character receives a unique super-weapon at the end of their scenario when fighting a final boss. Leon gets the Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, while Claire gets the Minigun.
You can unlock even more bonus content if you complete all four scenarios — Leon A, Leon B, Claire A, and Claire B. You’ll be able to choose which scenarios you want to play from the main menu.