Overwatch: PC Crashes, License Error & Long Loading Fixes
Having issues with Overwatch on PC? Check out these known technical issues and the official recommendations to help resolve them.
If you’re experiencing frequent crashes or unexplained slow-down in Overwatch, check out these common (and some not-so-common) fixes and remedies to get Blizzard’s new online-shooter running smoothly. As is common with any massive launch, players are reporting plenty of issues. Thanks to the official technical support guys at Blizzard, we’ve got some answers to help resolve the most common problems experienced so far.
The “No License Found” error is still a problem for some players, as are Intel integrated graphics and certain popular background apps like Discord. Most problems can be solved by either; shutting down all background processes, or by updating all graphics or sound drivers to their most current versions. New Nvidia Drivers just dropped specifically for Overwatch, so try to stay up-to-date with all your devices before jumping over to technical support.
PC Crashes, Bad Performance & Long Loading Fixes
Players are already reporting a number of client-side issues. Blizzard is working on ways to fix these problems, but until patches arrive, here are some stop-gap solutions or methods to test that might help fix one or more of the technical issues detailed below.
Crashes – On Start Up or In-game
- Background Apps – Turn off background programs or overlays. Programs like Discord, Curse Voice, Overwolf, FRAPs, D3DGear or other applications might be stopping the game from launching. Turn off all third-party or background programs before launching Overwatch, or use Selective Startup.
- Malware / Antivirus – Malware or antivirus software may be preventing Overwatch from launching. Try using reliable free anti-malware software like Malwarebytes and make sure your antivirus software is up-to-date and that no firewalls are preventing Overwatch from starting. Turn off all antivirus software running in the background if the problem persists.
- High Latency – The following programs are known to cause issues with the Overwatch Network controller and can slow your connection speed or cause long load times.
- Hamachi VPN
- ASUS GameFirst III / IV
- LAN Optimizer
- Turn off or uninstall all proxies, VPN or network optimizers to improve latency.
- Intel / Switchable Graphics Drivers – If you’re using an Intel graphics card, using multiple graphics cards, or using a switchable graphics card rig, make sure all of your cards are up-to-date, especially the Intel card, even if it is not your primary card. Learn how to update your drivers to the latest version here. Or, download generic Intel drivers here.
- Overclocked BIOS – Altering the BIOS settings and memory clock speeds will always lead to a crash mid-match. Restore BIOS settings / memory clock to default for best results.
- No Compatible Graphics Hardware Was Found – This error occurs if your system does not meet Blizzard’s minimum system requirement for Overwatch. Find the minimum specs here. Otherwise, download the latest drivers and make sure your computer is fully up-to-date.
While Playing as Mei, Game Crashes When I Left-Click
- Mei’s in-game left-click attack causes certain out-of-date graphics cards to crash. Learn how to update your drivers to the latest version here.
‘No License Found’ Error
- On the Battle.net desktop application, change the region above “Play” — then change the region back to your default region. Restart the game and the error should not appear again.
- On PCs with 6-core CPUs or Less – Overwatch uses only 6 CPU cores at most. Streaming, recording, or running other programs in the background will utilize cores and may cause performance degradation. Turn off all background programs to improve performance.
Sound From One Speaker Only
- Certain headphones may use software to simulate surround sound. Disable any additional or supplemental audio applications connected to your headphones, or updating drivers for your audio device.
Get guides, extras, and info with the Overwatch essentials on Gameranx:
- Overwatch: 10 Tips to Get Started | Soldier 76 Hero Guide
- Overwatch: 10 Tips to Get Started | Widowmaker Hero Guide
- Overwatch: 10 Tips to Get Started | Mercy Hero Guide
- Overwatch: 10 Tips to Get Started | Reinhardt Hero Guide
- Overwatch: How to Level Up Fast & Earn Loot Boxes
- Overwatch: How to Counter Every Hero | Tips & Strategies
- Overwatch: 4K | HD Wallpapers
- Overwatch: Easter Eggs List
- Overwatch: Easiest Heroes for Newbies