After years of waiting The Last Guardian is finally a reality. There’s no better time to take good care of Trico with these collectible food barrels. Feeding Trico hidden food barrels unlocks costumes for the Boy and an accessory for your feathered protector after completing the game once, and you’ll earn the ‘Lock, Stock & Barrel’ Gold Trophy for all that hard work.
There’s a lot to explore in The Last Guardian, and the boy is going to need to take advantage of Trico to reach these hidden barrels. Not every food barrel is in an obvious spot. Some are hidden in lost alcoves or behind wooden barricades. Sometimes there’s a small puzzle involved, just to figure out how to get one of these hunger-fighting good barrels. Don’t leave Trico disappointed, see where to feed your friend with the locations below.
All Food Barrel Locations | Lock, Stock & Barrel Guide
Food Barrels are special collectibles that the boy can throw to Trico. Feeding Trico every single barrel in the game will unlock the “Lock, Stock & Barrel” trophy, and you will also earn outfits for the boy on your second playthrough.
Part #1: Trico and the Boy
- Food Barrel #1, #2 & #3: In the chamber where you find Trico chained up and wounded, there are three food barrels. One on both sides of the small ruin in the cave, and one in the gated room. Pull the switch to get the barrel inside.
- Food Barrel #4 & #5: Leading Trico out of that chamber, you’ll enter a cavern with light streaming through the ceiling and illuminating a grassy area. Climb on top of Trico and jump onto the high ledge to throw both food barrels to Trico.
- Food Barrel #6: After returning with the mirror, use it to clear the way on the even higher ledge in the same chamber as #4 / #5 — use Trico’s head to reach the higher ledge and toss the glowing barrel down for Trico.
- Food Barrel #7, #8 & #9: Drop into the underground pool of water and turn left. There’s a wooden barricade you can blast with Trico and the mirror. Once the wooden barrier is destroyed, climb the chain up and you’ll find a crate with all three barrels. Push the crate down to break it open and then toss all three barrels out into the water for Trico.
- Food Barrel #10: In the same water-filled cave chamber, use one of the previous three barrels to lead Trico toward the waterfall. Climb on top of Trico and jump to the green moss the boy can climb on the side of the rock walls, to the left of the waterfall. The last barrel in this chapter is found at the top of this green climbing path.
Part #2 – The First Tower
- Food Barrel #11: Leaving the chasm and reaching metal gates where Trico can’t follow (but will still stick its head through the doorways) — take the stairs up to find a hole in the ruins wall with a view of the chasm and the makeshift bridge. Call for Trico here and it’ll jump into the hallway. Lead Trico down the stairs and use the mirror to destroy the debris at the cave-in to reveal a hidden barrel.
- Food Barrel #12: Use the previous food barrel to lead Trico into the larger room with the small doorways. There’s a set of handholds only the boy can reach. Climb on Trico to jump to the ledges and climb up to reach an alcove with another barrel.
- Food Barrel #13: After climbing out of the chamber where #2 resided, you’ll reach a cavern at the top with a mineshift to the left. Enter this small alcove with a lit torch to get the next barrel for Trico.
- Food Barrel #14: Ride Trico as it jumps across large gaps through the canyon, stopping at a new large chamber with a stained-glass eye on the ledge to the left and a glowing-blue device ahead. As you take the steps up, look to the right for a narrow passage only the boy can squeeze into. There is a barrel at the end of this path.
- Food Barrel #15: From#4, go up the stairs on the right. At the top, turn left — there’s a gate here. Once the gate is open (by using Trico to reach the windows up higher and following the ledges to another window on the left) you’ll be able to reach this chapter’s last barrel. It’s clearly visible, down the hall from the gate switch.
Part #3 – Sleeping Trico
N/A – There are no barrels in this section.
Part #4 – The Second Tower
- Food Barrel #16: After completing the pots puzzle and reaching the second massive tower, climb the broken pillars. At the top, you’ll need to use Trico’s tail to climb up and reach the upper ledge. Climb up Trico and jump to the platform — the food barrel is found in the second alcove with three archways.
- Food Barrel #17: The next one is very close by. Cross the rickety wooden bridge to get the barrel on the balcony. Don’t feed it to Trico yet, you’ll need it!
- Food Barrel #18: Continuing on, you’ll eventually reach a chamber with enemies. After defeating the Armors, look in the back-left corner from the entrance door after dropping down to find this loose barrel.
- Food Barrel #19: Leaving the purple-tinted narrow passages filled with Armor, you’ll reach an exterior broken bridge bathed in bright sunlight. There’s one final Armor watching the bridge. Get rid of it, then follow the narrow path to the right — at the end of the path, there’s a food barrel stuck in the rubble.
- Food Barrel #20, #21, #22, #23: Leaving the area with the broken bridge, you’ll need to crawl through a gate. Continue down and into the courtyard — there’s a crate with four food barrels on the right. Get Trico’s attention by pushing the crate and it’ll bust the whole thing open. This is the area where the boy learns how to issue commands for the first time.
- Food Barrel #24: Up and out of the previous chamber, you’ll enter a narrow passage that leads to a view of the broken bridge from earlier. Pull the switch, then look to the platform on the right (as you leave the hallway) — the food barrel is way over there. You’ll need Trico’s help. Crawl on Trico and when it stands tall, jump onto the high ledge to get the barrel.
- Food Barrel #25: With Trico, jump over the broken bridge. On the other side, have Trico stand tall (and jump up!) to help the boy reach a high spot on the arches to the right after leaping the gap. There’s an easy-to-miss food barrel up in this hidden location.
- Food Barrel #26: Later in the dungeon, you’ll need Trico to pull a glowing blue chain. After pulling the chain tight, the boy will be able to get through a gate. Push a metal stopper down the ramp and wedge it beneath the gate so Trico can follow. The food barrel is in an easily-visible alcove straight ahead from that gate.
Part #5 – The Glass Eyes
- Food Barrel #27: Pulling the switch and returning to the room with Trico, climb the ledges in the back right corner to find a hanging chain. Climb that hanging chain and you’ll reach a platform with the barrel.
- Food Barrel #28 & #29: From the raised gate, lead Trico through the narrow hallway to get a view of the glass eye. On this rocky exterior, there’s a high series of archways to the left when facing the glass eye. Lead Trico to the rocky wall where the arches meet. Encourage Trico to stand so the boy can jump onto the high platform where two barrels are hidden. You’ll need to reach this platform so the boy can jump to the hanging cages.
Part #6 – Another Trico
- Food Barrel #30: Following the pair of train tracks from the jarred gate, look for a hole in the ground. Drop into the ruined floor beneath the tracks to find a very narrow crack in the stone wall. Squeeze into the dark passage to find a food barrel at the end.
Part #7 – The Branches
- Food Barrel #31: Riding Trico down the huge shaft after it saves the boy when he’s stuck, jump off on the ground floor and climb through the ruined area to find the first glowing barrel. This one is required to progress.
- Food Barrel #32: After the boy climbs up and around the ruins to disrupt the armors carrying glass eyes. Opposite the balcony where the armor soldiers are located, there’s a metal gate with bars missing. Crawl through the missing bars to get this barrel.
- Food Barrel #33: The next barrel is a little tricky. Grab an armor head and go down into the hallway with headless armor suits. The suits glow purple — get close to the last armor suit on the right to activate it. Destroy it and enter the dark alcove behind it to get the barrel.
- Food Barrel #34: Later, the boy will be trapped in a cavern with murky green water while Trico is on the wooden scaffolding above. You’ll climb out using Trico’s tail — in the room where you emerge, order Trico to jump up two ledges to reach a large metal gate. Hop through the hole to get the barrel on the other side.
- Food Barrel #35: After escaping the collapsing bridge, Trico saves the boy and leaps across rocky ledges. You’ll eventually reach a dirt-floor arena. Clear the living armor and find the hidden barrel on the curved balcony overlooking the arena.
- Food Barrel #36: To escape the arena, Trico will launch the boy using a wheelbarrow. At the top, open all the doors with the switches and take note of the armor helmet. Summon Trico up through the upper-level door from the outside balcony, then attach the armor helmet / head to the soldier’s body, bringing it to life. Defeat the enemy with Trico and collect the barrel from the alcove hidden behind the armor.
Part #8 – Escape
- Food Barrel #37: Right as you drop into the shallow waterway from the narrow rock path, there’s a food barrel at the end of the right in the back-right corner.
- Food Barrel #38: After using Trico to dive and swim underwater, you’ll appear in another enclosed cavern with a metal gate at about water-level. Ignore that for now and look to the wall to the left of the gate. There’s a small door high on the ledge. Ride Trico as it swims to jump up and reach this small room that contains a single food barrel.
- Food Barrel #39: Eventually the boy will enter a magical elevator-like cage. When you can’t escape, you’ll have to break out. Once you smash out, grab the armor helmet / head and take it into the working lift. Ride down and attach the head to the dormant armor soldier. The food barrel is found in the soldier’s alcove, behind the armor suit.
Part #9 – The Depths
- Food Barrel #40: From the lift platform, you’ll find a single remaining guard rail the boy can use to cross to the crumbled stairs. Next, use Trico to climb up and up the cavern until it squeezes through a narrow crack in the ceiling. After successfully squeezing through, jump into the narrow path to the right in the rocky canyon. The stairs lead up to a room with a food barrel.
Part #10 – Taking Flight
- Food Barrel #41: Later, Trico will finally take flight and land on the tower near the boy. After jumping to Trico, a short bit of dialogue will play. Following the cutscene, take the central stairs up, then enter the curved stairwell to the left. At the top, go up another central stair to grab the glowing barrel.
- Food Barrel #42 & #43: When Trico lands on the interior ruin bridge, wounded, the boy will arrive to pull spears — but you’ll both tumble and fall down. Help Trico, and pick up the mirror that falls from Trico’s mouth to illuminate the stacked mine carts. Blast the carts and you’ll find food barrels hidden behind them.
- Food Barrel #44 & #45: In the same area, climb up the ruins to find a hanging chain. Jump to it and climb. At the top, the boy will find a passage covered with rubble. Behind the rubble, there are two more food barrels.
Part #11: Trico vs. Trico
- N/A – No barrels in this section.
Part #12: The White Tower
- Food Barrel #46: Outside the massive tower of smooth white stone, use Trico (and the mirror) to target and destroy the four balconies where armor soldiers are throwing spears. After clearing the enemies, make Trico stand tall so the boy can jump up and enter the third balcony passage from the left. There’s a food barrel inside.
- Food Barrel #47: Still outside the tower, the boy will open the gate that leads to interior stairs. From that switch, fun right and look down — there’s a secret ledge below with this tricky barrel down bellow. Find the closest ledge to the platform you’re standing on, and carefully lower the boy down using Trico’s tail.
- Food Barrel #48: After riding the lift into the stranger upper levels of the tower, exit and look around the misty circle. It is littered with broken barrels — but one of these barrels is still intact. Give it to Trico to complete your collection.
- Lock, Stock & Barrel: (Gold)
- Give Trico every single barrel.