There’s nothing more devious than Mimics in Lords of the Fallen. Unlike the chests you can test out with a quick attack in other action-RPGs, Mimics are almost impossible to recognize. You can’t listen in for hidden monsters — you’ll just have to use your intuition to see if that item is the real deal or a cruel trap with a killer monster waiting on the other side. Luckily, players have discovered a method that makes dealing with Mimics so much easier. Yes, you can actually destroy Mimics and collect their items. Here’s how to do it.
More Lords of the Fallen guides:
Beginner’s Guide | Best Starting Class | How To Reach Skyrest Bridge | Pilgrim’s Perch Key | Mineowner’s Ring Location | Seedling Vestige Farm | Blacksmith Location | How To Upgrade Healing | How To Unlock Runes | Boss Weapon Unlock | Critical Attacks | Early Vigor Farm | Pieta, She of Blessed Renewal Boss Guide | Scourged Sister Delyth Boss Guide | Mendacious Visage Boss Guide
How To Collect Mimic Items
Mimics are extremely cruel Umbral monsters that will instakill your Dark Crusader if you’re caught by one in Lords of the Fallen. There’s no easy way to tell where they are just by looking at the item — unlike mimic chests in Dark Souls. Mimics are invisible enemies that lurk near item pick-ups. If you attempt to collect the glowing item, you’ll be attacked by the mimic. Almost always, this leads to you respawning in the Umbral.
If you want to check items to see if a Mimic is nearby and collect the valuable items, they’re tempting you with, here’s the trick.
- How To Destroy Mimics & Collect Their Items:
- Use Soulflay on the suspicious item. While you can’t target the item, you can use Soulflay before attempting to pick it up.
- Approach the item, standing very close, then use Soulflay — hold up the Umbral Lamp and use a heavy attack. You may need to stand very close to the item to get the Soulflay to connect.
If it does connect, it will dispel the hidden Umbral monster and allow you to collect the items. Often these creatures drop very useful consumables, so they’re work collecting. After collecting, the monster will also not reappear, so you won’t fall for the same trick twice when revisiting areas much later in the game.
Once a mimic is destroyed, it will never come back. You can safely clear areas of mimics by checking items before grabbing them. Mimics are punishing, but there are ways to identify them.
- How Mimics Work:
- Mimics attack when you attempt to collect the item associated with that mimic.
- After attempting to collect the item, Mimics will appear and attack, dragging you into the Umbral.
- After attacking, the Mimic will disappear. After resting, they’ll respawn on the map.
- A respawned Mimic will appear in a different location, somewhat near the original location. They don’t move very far, but they do appear in new locations.
- Destroying the Mimic makes it go away forever.
Items guarded by spectral Mimics are possible to spot. Watch out for items in random locations with no dead body, or no visual indicator of what you’re collecting. Sometimes items will randomly appear (or appear further away from defeated enemies) and throw you off. Always check items with Soulflay before collecting if they don’t have bodies or other clues signaling that this is a legit item. It doesn’t hurt to check! Soulflay charges are only used if the attack lands on a hidden Mimic.
Using this technique, you can fight back against Mimics. Become predator instead of prey and destroy one of the most annoying enemies in Lords of the Fallen.