Lords of the Fallen adds a new twist to the Soulsborne formula — allowing you to plant temporary checkpoints as you explore the cursed lands of Mournstead. You can plant one checkpoint (called a Vestige) at a time and placing another will replace your single temporary checkpoint slot. These are especially useful when encountering tough bosses with Vestiges at the far corners of the world. If you don’t want to have to sprint across the entire map, you’ll want to place these temporary checkpoints whenever you find them.
And the items required to place these are called Vestige Seedlings. They’re not as rare as they might seem. If you can’t decide whether to plant a seedling or struggle — don’t. You should always place that seedling, because farming for them becomes surprisingly easy after leaving the earliest parts of the game. Once you’re free to fully explore the world, you’ll find an infinite source of seedlings.
More Lords of the Fallen guides:
How To Farm Vestige Seedlings
Early in the game, you’ll learn about Vestige Seedlings. These are valuable items that can be used to create an optional Vestige — or a checkpoint. These are made and placed on Umbral Flowerbeds.
Placing a Vestige Seedling will create a temporary revival point. You’ll respawn at the Vestige when you die in the Umbral. Very useful for progressing in dangerous areas. And there’s an important detail you’ll need to know about Vestige Seedlings.
- How Vestige Seedlings Work:
- Grown Vestiges have all the same useful benefits as a normal Vestige. You can Rest, Warp or Upgrade here. These are temporary and only one can be placed at a time.
- You can only carry 5 Max Vestige Seedlings. If you have full Vestige Seedlings, there’s no reason not to use them.
- Your Umbral Lamp will shake (or glow) when near an Umbral Flowerbed. You can even spot these in the living world. You don’t need to be Umbral to place them — just use your lamp and target the flowerbed to generate a checkpoint.
Even better, Vestige Seedlings can be farmed in the Umbral. You’re not stuck with a limited amount. You can earn as many as you need before venturing into new territory. If you don’t want to miss out, here’s how to earn your own Vestige Seedlings.
- Vestige Seedling Farming:
- Kill special enemies in the Umbral Realm. All of them consistently drop Vestige Seedlings — they’re not 100% drops, but they seem to drop at least 25-50% of the time.
- Look for enemies like the reapers with two scythes that swim through the ground and ambush you, or the butterfly-like moth undead that attack from above. Any unique enemies to the Umbral are more likely to drop Vestige Seedlings.
The only enemies you don’t need to fight are the glowing red hunters. These special powerful enemies appear when you’ve been in the Umbral too long and have been detected. These enemies are extremely tough, but they aren’t required for farming Vestige Seedlings. You can ignore them or just run away when they appear. Focus on the normal (and beatable) special enemies in the Umbral.