There’s a feature you can miss for a surprisingly long time in Lords of the Fallen — if you don’t collect a specific lost book, you won’t be able to assign runes to your weapons or shields. Runes are a bonus feature that allows you to further enhance your gear by improving attribute scaling. This means your weapons (or shield) will become stronger if you have a high attribute. Runes will only begin to drop AFTER you unlock this feature, so you’ll want to make it available as soon as possible. Here’s where to find the Cracked Rune Tablet and how to start socketing runes.
More Lords of the Fallen guides:
Beginner’s Guide | Best Starting Class | How To Reach Skyrest Bridge | Mineowner’s Ring Location | Seedling Vestige Farm | Blacksmith Location | How To Upgrade Healing | Boss Weapon Unlock | Critical Attacks | Early Vigor Farm | Pieta, She of Blessed Renewal Boss Guide | Scourged Sister Delyth Boss Guide
How To Unlock The Runes Feature
To begin your hunt for the Runes Book, reach the area called Fitzroy’s Gorge. This area is unlocked after defeating The Hushed Saint, the first of the five major bosses, in the Forsaken Fen area. After defeating the boss, you’ll reach a cave leading to a canyon called Fitzroy’s Gorge. On the left side of the canyons, you’ll encounter a castle guarded by the Crimson Rector Percival boss.
Instead of going left, go right and enter the caves. After crossing the Umbral bridge, look to the right for an open cave that’s blocked in the living world. Use the lamp or enter the Umbral to create a small ramp that gives you access.
- Cracked Rune Tablet Location: Fitzroy’s Gorge – Found in the cave near where you’ll meet the NPC Drustan. Down the path, you’ll reach a ledge with this item.
Inside the cave, you’ll encounter an NPC called Drustran. This NPC has a quest — but ignore that for now. Progress deeper into this cave to find an item. This is the Cracked Rune Tablet. Once you have the book, you’ll be able to unlock the Socket Rune function at the Blacksmith. Runes will also be available to purchase.
- To Unlock Socket Runes: Return to the Skyrest Bridge hub and talk to the Blacksmith. Choose to hand over the Cracked Rune Tablet. Talk to the NPCs three times, then you’ll be able to use the new Socket Runes feature.
- You can socket Runes into Weapons or Shields to increase attribute scaling. You can now buy runes from the Blacksmith and swap them out whenever you revisit.
- Runes will also slightly increase the attribute you’ve chosen to scale.
- There are runs for Strength Scaling, Agility Scaling, Radiant Scaling and Inferno Scaling.
NOTE: Check the shape of the slot of your weapon. It will need to match the rune you want to slot in. There are four runs — Strength (Circle), Agility (Triangle), Radiant (Diamond) and Inferno (Star).
To unlock Rune slots on your weapons, you’ll need to upgrade. You can upgrade weapons at the Blacksmith. Only upgraded weapons will have rune sockets. By socketing a rune for the first time, you’ll unlock the ‘Rune Novice‘ achievement / trophy. You can now freely collect runes. They can be purchased from vendors, including the blacksmith. Runes will also become random drops from enemies. Be on the lookout for compatible runes for your gear.