There’s a reason Dark Souls fans smack every wall they see — sometimes, there’s awesome stuff to find. Dark Souls is one of the few series with true secrets to find, and if you don’t already know everything there is to know about Lordran, we’re here to provide a simple lost explaining where to find all those illusory walls.
Illusory walls are basically illusion doors you can open with the swing of a sword. Making the walls disappear usually leads to something really good. You’ll find new covenants to join, NPCs to talk to, optional boss battles, secret areas that lead to other secret areas, and some of the best armor sets in the game. You really don’t want to miss out on these secrets.
More Dark Souls: Remastered guides on Gameranx:
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Beat Every Boss In Lordran | Strategy Guide
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Farm Rare Titanite | Slabs & Twinkling Locations Guide
- Dark Souls: Remastered – All Keys (And Doors They Unlock) Locations Guide
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Access All Secret Areas | Ash Lake, Painted World & More
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Upgrade Your Healing Items | Fire Keeper Souls Guide
All Illusory Walls Locations | Secrets Guide
Illusory walls are secret doors that disappear when they’re attacked. In the add-on areas, you’ll instead need to use the Cast Light spell to make illusory walls disappear. Illusory walls hide secret chests, special NPCs, bonfires and even full areas.
- In the swamp, at the bottom of Blighttown, you’ll find a large root that leads up to a gigantic tree. Attack the wall to the left of the corpse to reveal a passage to a chest.
- In the room with the chest, attack the wall behind the chest to reveal a secret path to the Great Hollow. The Great Hollow leads down to the secret Ash Lake.
- Beneath the bell and in the area after the Quelaag boss arena, attack the wall covered in eggs. It leads to an NPC that can give you a Pyromancy Flame. You can also join the Chaos Servant covenant. If you contract the egg parasite, you can find a cure here.
- After using the Crest of Artorias to open the locked shortcut door, there is an illusory wall to the left with a bonfire.
- Get the Crest of Artorias from Andre the Blacksmith. It costs 20,000 souls.
- Through the catacombs, check the ladder leading to the second bridge control switch — there’s an illusory wall behind a trapped statue. It leads up to a second hidden bonfire.
- Drop down into the pit guarded by Titanite Demons. Climb out, and you’ll find a corpse hanging off the ledge. Attack the wall near this corpse to find a path to Big Hat Logan. You can free him with a Master Key, or the Cage Key found in the fortress.
- Reach the giant rotating bridge / staircase and lower it. On the lowest level, you’ll find the Darkmoon Bonfire. Wear the Darkmoon Séance Ring near the statue of Gwyn to reveal a secret path that leads to the Darkmoon Gwyndolin boss battle.
- To find the Darkmoon Séance Ring, enter the Pinwheel boss arena, break down the wall near the base of the stairs. The path leads to the ring inside a coffin.
- Another illusory wall is found in the massive Anor Londo castle. When you reach the bonfire, look in one of the rooms filled with chests. There’s an unlit fireplace that’s actually an illusory wall.
- The secret path leads to a room with five chests (one is a mimic) — you’ll find Havel’s Armor Set, a Dragon Tooth, Havel’s Greatshield, and the Occult Club.
Painted World of Ariamis
- In the underground tunnels down the ladder in the well, you’ll find 6+ illusory walls. These are on smooth walls — you’ll find Pyromancy: Fire Surge, the Annex Key, and more soul items after killing the enemies hidden behind these walls.
New Londo Ruins
- Once you’re able to break the seal in the ruins, find this illusory walls between the Firelink Shrine elevator and Ingward. Remove the wall to find a shortcut path.
Tomb of the Giants
- After finding a Large Divine Ember, there’s an illusory wall in the passage. You’ll find this later after Patches kicks you into the pit. Climb out to find Patches and the illusory wall leading back to the main area. The first bonfire is hidden behind this wall.
- Look on the second large structure in the lava pits area. Face the main ruins and attacks the walls on this second structure — there’s a bonfire that’s easy to miss hidden here.
Oolacile Township (Artorias of the Abyss DLC)
- Find a developer message on a walkway from the Oolacile Sorceror two-story structure, with the Dark Orb sorcery. Use any light source near the developer message to make the illusory wall disappear.
- In the tall, multi-leveled interior structure, follow the stairs up to a dead-end wall. Use any light source to make the wall disappear.
Chasm of the Abyss (Artorias of the Abyss DLC)
- At the first fork, go left and be very careful. The floor will disappear if you have a light source equipped.
- Dropping down the illusory floor, follow the NPC Alvina. She’ll walk through a wall. Cast any light source on the wall to reach a secret room with a chained Sif.