There’s never enough Estus in Dark Souls: Remastered. Estus Flasks are your primary renewable healing item, and there are only two ways to actually upgrade these things — you can Kindle bonfires so you’ll have more Estus when you respawn, or you can give your flasks a permanent upgrade that makes each swig heal you more. The permanent solution requires Fire Keeper Souls, and they’re extremely rare.
Fire Keeper Souls are so rare, you can actually only get a few if you kill different Fire Keepers in the environment. While that might sound like a pretty cool idea, you should probably know that killing NPCs is a permanent decision — and killing Fire Keepers will permanently remove a nearby bonfire. You can still teleport to a disabled bonfire, but you can’t use it anymore.
More Dark Souls: Remastered guides on Gameranx:
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Beat Every Boss In Lordran | Strategy Guide
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Farm Rare Titanite | Slabs & Twinkling Locations Guide
- Dark Souls: Remastered – All Illusory Walls Locations | Secrets Guide
- Dark Souls: Remastered – All Keys (And Doors They Unlock) Locations Guide
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Access All Secret Areas | Ash Lake, Painted World & More
- Dark Souls: Remastered – How To Cure Egg Parasite & Curse | Afflictions Guide
How To Upgrade Your Healing Items | Fire Keeper Souls Locations Guide
Fire Keeper Souls, when reinforced, make all your Estus Flasks heal more. To upgrade Estus Flasks, you’ll need to turn in the Fire Keeper Soul to one of three Fire Keepers — The Fair Lady (Firelink Shrine), Chaos Servant (Queelag’s Domain), or Darkmoon Knightess (Anor Londo). You can only carry one Fire Keeper Soul at a time.
- Fire Keeper Soul #1: On the altar, in the church area of the Undead Parish. Find it guarded by an undead knight.
- Fire Keeper Soul #2: Starting from the Valley of the Drakes entrance path, you’ll find it in a murky pit patrolled by dogs and toxic dart throwers.
New Londo Ruins
- Fire Keeper Soul #3: While crossing the narrow wooden bridge path, look right to find it. Three ghosts will appear when you get close — if you’re quick, you can collect it before dying early in the game.
- Fire Keeper Soul #4: Kill Queelag’s Sister, in the secret area hidden behind an illusory wall. Attack the wall covered in eggs in the passage after the boss arena. It leads into a room where you can join the Chaos Servants covenant. Killing Queelag’s Sister will disable the bonfire at this location.
- Fire Keeper Soul #5: Kill Darkmoon Knightess at the first Anor Londo bonfire to obtain this Fire Keeper Soul. Killing her will permanently disable the bonfire at her location.
- Fire Keeper Soul #6: If you follow the quest path and allow Knight Lautrec to kill Anastacia of Astora, you’ll later find a Black Eye Orb on Anastacia’s body under the Firelink bonfire. Use the Black Eye Orb to invade and kill Knight Lautrec to claim the Fire Keeper Soul. You can also return the soul to Anastacia.
- Fire Keeper Soul #7: Located at the bottom of the prison tower. You must be captured (killed by Seathe in the first encounter) to access the prison. Return later to the bottom level with the Archive Tower Giant Cell Key to unlock the door behind the octopus-head creature.