Mortal Kombat 11 includes a surprise unlockable character — Frost — and unlocking her is pretty straightforward. Not found anywhere in the announced roster, this character leaked early with speculation that she might only be available as a DLC purchase. That isn’t the case. You can unlock her for free by completing a portion of the story campaign. It’s really easy, so check below to see how far you’ll need to go to get her.
This isn’t the first time players have been able to unlock a bonus character in the Mortal Kombat series, but it’s still a surprise. The last unlockable character appeared in Mortal Kombat 9 — deep into the story, it was possible to get Cyber Subzero. Even better, Cyber Subzero is also playable in Mortal Kombat XL as a secret fourth option on the Triborg DLC character. It seems like lesser ice-based ninjas are always going to make surprise appearances in this series.
More Mortal Kombat 11 guides:
- Mortal Kombat 11: 11 Incredibly Useful Tips & Tricks You Need To Know | Beginner’s Guide
- Mortal Kombat 11: How To Input All Secondary Fatalities | Hidden Fatality List
- Mortal Kombat 11: Having Trouble With Combos? Change These Settings | Combo Tips [VIDEO]
- Mortal Kombat 11: How To Unlock Every Area Of The Krypt | Key Items Locations Guide
- Mortal Kombat 11: How To Use AI Fighters To Easily Beat Towers | Heart Farming Tips
- Mortal Kombat 11: How To Get Every Costume | Skin Unlocking Guide
- Mortal Kombat 11: How To Unlock Bug-Vorah, D’Vorah’s Playable Baby | ‘Total Disrespect’ Guide
How To Unlock Frost | Secret Fighter Guide
The only secret unlockable character in Mortal Kombat 11 is Frost. This returning female ice-ninja hasn’t been playable since Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. She first appeared in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, being trained by Sub-Zero. Now she’s a fully-fledged character, returning with a totally revampled look.
- How to Unlock Frost: Complete Chapter 4 of the Story Campaign.
According to leaks, Frost can also be purchased without playing the campaign. Free is the obvious way to go here — Chapter 4 doesn’t sound too far, and the story modes in modern Mortal Kombat games are amazing. They’re well worth your time, even if you don’t plan on finishing.
The only DLC characters confirmed so far are Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn. The former bosses of the series aren’t playable in the base game. You’ll have to pre-order (or purchase separately) to unlock Shao Kahn. Shang Tsung is available as the first of many planned DLC characters, and comes included with the Season Pass.