Unlocking characters is a pretty big deal in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. You don’t simply unlock new challenges — you’ll need to defeat them all in a one-on-one battle. Every stage is different, and filled with pitfalls and random events that can easily trip you up. If you fail the battle, you’ll lose your first chance to unlock a character.
But, you’ll be able to fight them again. And you won’t have to wait for a lucky draw. After some time has passed — most likely, about 10 minutes — you’ll be able to access a new rematch feature. The menu selection is called ‘Challenger’s Approach’, and with it, you can re-battle every single character you’ve failed to beat so far. You can re-fight them in order, so there’s no randomness here. If you fail, you’ll have to wait another 10 minutes for another chance, or you can use the same reset trick, explained in the link below.
More Super Smash Bros. Ultimate guides on Gameranx:
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 20 Tips To Help You Beat World of Light | Spirits Mode Guide
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: How To Unlock Every Character Fast | All Challengers Guide
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Bonus Character Unlock Order | The Complete List
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: What You’ll Unlock With Every Amiibo | Unlockables Guide
How To Rematch Unlockable Characters | Challenger’s Approach Guide
After you fail a character unlock smash match, you’ll get a chance to battle the challenger again. And again. And again. As many times as you need to fight them to win. You’ll find the rematch list available in the ‘Challenger’s Approach’ menu selection.
- How To Rematch Unlockable Characters: Go to the ‘Games & More‘ section in the upper-right corner of the main menu. From here, look for the door icon in the bottom-left. This is the ‘Challenger’s Approach‘ menu.
The Challenger’s Approach menu option will only appear after you’ve failed a character unlock battle. The matches will reset every 10 minutes — or you can exit the game, wait one minute, then re-enter. So if you’re ever stuck and fail to beat one of the re-matches in this mode, you won’t have to wait for the full 10 minute timer to countdown.
The challengers appear in the same order that you unlocked them. If you’re unlocking the characters in versus, you’ll get them in a specific order — it isn’t actually random. They unlock in a specific, defined order.