[Get more daily La-Mulana 2 guides. Subscribe to GuideRanx on YouTube!]
Welcome to our video and text guide for La-Mulana 2. Instead of going through every agonizingly long step, we’re breaking down exactly what you need to know to make progress in this tricky metroidvania. There are puzzles to solve, traps to dodge, and upgrades to collect aplenty in the very first “real” area of the game — the Roots of Yggdrasil.
The first area isn’t too bad — there are two mini-bosses and a guardian you’ll need to defeat, so it’s probably a good idea to stock up on those shurikens. You’ll also need to know about apps. You can buy those from the various stores in the tourist village. Otherwise, just follow the simple steps explained below. Find the three statues, grab the ankh key, and you’re ready to move into the second portion on the main game.
More La-Mulana 2 guides on Gameranx:
- La-Mulana 2 Walkthrough: Divine Fortress & Valhalla Guardian | Part 2
- La-Mulana 2 Walkthrough: Annwfn & Annwfn Guardian | Part 3
- La-Mulana 2 Walkthrough: Hunting Ratatoskr, Crystal Skulls & Key Items | Part 4
- La-Mulana 2: How To Unlock Hard Mode | Secrets Guide
- La-Mulana 2: How To Get The Chain Whip Upgrade | Double Damage Guide
- La-Mulana 2: All Mantra Locations & Second Meanings | Locations Guide
- La-Mulana 2: How to Combine Apps For Bonuses | App Combos List
- La-Mulana 2: How To Get The Flail Whip | All 4 Sigil Locations Guide
- La-Mulana 2: How To Get The Double-Jump Feather Early | Treasure Guide
- La-Mulana 2: All 10 Sacred Orb Locations | Health Upgrades Guide
How To Beat The Roots of Yggdrasil | Part 1
Let’s break down how to complete the Roots of Yggdrasil and beat the first guardian. Purchase weights before entering Eg-Lana!
- Unlocking the First Room: Stand on the platform directly next to the right pillar. It will lower slightly, and the pillar will slide out of the way.
- Sacred Orb Health Upgrade: The first HP upgrade is in the room directly to the right of the entrance. To get it, stand on the pressure plate to the left of the chest.
- Map Location: In the chest above the health upgrade chest. Place a weight on the brown pressure pad in the same room to unlock it.
- Shuriken Location: In the room with the sigil, two rooms left of the map location. Whip the breakable block at the bottom and place a weight on the pressure pad to make the wall disappear.
- Ankh Jewel Location: The ankh is required to access the guardian’s room. Find it to the left of the Shuriken. In this room, there’s a killer trap that blocks the path to a treasure chest / breakable wall. Instead of jumping on this path, use shurikens to break the breakable wall after placing a weight. Then you can climb the ladder instead of going through the trap.
- Guardian Location: The guardian is located beneath the three goddess statues. To unlock the path, you need to find all three goddess statues and whip the eyes to drain the water.
- All goddess statues are at the top level of the map.
- Two goddess statues will spawn mini-bosses. Fight Ratatoskr, but retreat when Nidhogg appears. You can’t beat him.
- To make the Guardian / Ankh door appear, attack the spout dripping poison onto the goddess.
- The boss is Fafnir — a strange bug-like creature that spews projectiles. Stay back and hit it with shurikens. When you run out, finish it off with your whip. Avoid taking too much damage in the first phase with your shurikens, and you should be fine.