Players on PC are widely reporting freezing and stuttering issues in Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst following their first session of normal play. According to many suffering from these problems, the game starts normally after install and it isn’t until after shutdown that freezing and stuttering become a constant problem — in-game or during cutscenes.
Until DICE issues a patch, there are other ways to workaround these issues. Scroll down to find out more about this on-going technical issues, and try the solutions listed below.
Learn even more about the Mirror’s Edge world and watch the Catalyst launch trailer, or get into the game’s mood with the theme song by Chvches. If you’re looking for a complete list of surveillance recordings, documents, secret bags and electronic parts all in one place, then browse over to our Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst Collectibles Hub.
Freezing / Stuttering After Restart Fix
Constant stuttering is a problem that effects Nvidia and AMD cards. Make sure to download the most up-to-date drivers for both devices.
The freezing / stuttering problem occurs most often after restarting Catalyst after your first session. Part of the problem seems to be related to the priority of the Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst .exe.
How to Fix Freezing / Stuttering – Easy Steps:
These are simple steps you can take to improve performance and avoid stuttering. Try both of these methods in tandem for best results.
- Turn off all other programs currently running in Windows.
- Open Task Manager -> Processes
- End all non-critical background processes.
- Open Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst. When the game is running…
- Open Task Manager [or] Alt-Tab to the Task Manager window
- Select the Processes Tab and right-click MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe
- Go to Set Priority -> Select High Priority
How to Fix Freezing / Stuttering – High Priority On Startup
If alt-tabbing and changing the priority settings is a problem for you, Redditor AnnoyingSourcerer has a solution that launches the game automatically set to High Priority.
- Open Notepad (or any word processing program that does not automatically format text)
- Paste the following:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Mirrors Edge Catalyst\MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe" timeout 20 wmic process where name="MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority" wmic process where name="firefox.exe" CALL setpriority "Idle"
- Change the first line to match the file path on your computer. Search for “Mirrors Edge Catalyst” if you can’t locate it.
- Save the note as a Batch file to the “Origins\Mirrors Edge Catalyst” folder.
- Create a shortcut to this NEW file (instead of MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe)
Double-click the new shortcut and Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst will begin pre-set to High Priority.
Did this workaround work for you? Let us know if you’re experiencing other problems!
More Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst collectibles, unlockables, and guides:
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – How to Get All Gridleaks Map Locations
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – 5 Best Easter Eggs We’ve Found So Far
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – All Achievements & Trophies Guide
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – How to Fix Stuttering / Freezing on PC
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – Surveillance Recordings Collectible Locations
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – Documents Collectible Locations
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – Secret Bag Collectible Locations
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst – Electronic Part Collectible Locations