Upcoming 3D Platformer Yooka-Laylee will feature eight unique multiplayer arcade games, Playtonic Games and Team 17 just announced. The arcade games are playable through single-player for a frenzied leaderboard challenge, or local couch co-op mode, and are found inside Rextro Sixtyfourus’ arcade.
The planned multiplayer battles include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Glaciators Brawler Arena – Collect the most quills, the main collectible in the game
- Kartos Karting – Race to the finish against other players
- Gun-let Run – Blast away enemies in a shoot ’em up extraordinnaire
- Jobstacle Course – Traverse an obstacle course against your friends
- Bag the Flag – A capture the flag style game
Special play coins which are scattered throughout the main Yooka-Laylee campaign will be able to power up arcade cabinets, giving players a chance to win ‘paigies’, the equivalent of Banjo-Kazooie’s jigsaw pieces.
Yooka-Laylee will release on April 11 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, Mac and Linux. There was a Nintendo Wii U version planned, but Playtonic opted for a Nintendo Switch version instead due to ‘unforseen technical difficulties’. Kickstarter backers of Yooka-Laylee were given a playable demo of the game last July, but anyone who pre-orders the game today can also get their hands on it.
Disclosure: Author supported Yooka-Laylee on kickstarter.