• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Gameranx

Gameranx

Video Game News, Lists & Guides

  • News
  • Features
  • Platforms
    • Xbox Series X
    • PS5
    • Nintendo
  • Videos
  • Upcoming Games
  • Guides

Super Smash Bros. Might Not Continue With Series Director

November 2, 2021 by Dennis Patrick

Masahiro Sakurai is uncertain if he will make another Super Smash Bros. game.

The Super Smash Bros. games are massively popular. Ever since the game first came out on the Nintendo 64, players have been duking it out with iconic video game characters. We’ve seen some clone titles come out to compete against the franchise. But so far, none has quite topped the work Masahiro Sakurai and his team developed. Now this legendary developer has left some uncertainty of what the future may hold for Super Smash Bros. During a recent interview with Famitsu, the developer unveiled he’s uncertain what the future may hold. We might not see Sakurai continue on with the IP.

This series director has been with the game since the start, and recently, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate just wrapped up on the final DLC character release. Sora from Kingdom Hearts has joined the game, and while we know that was the last character being released into the title, we’re left wondering just what the future may hold. According to a recent interview with Famitsu, Sakurai might be out when it comes to another installment.

The developer said that the game franchise would never see as big as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate again. After all, the title brought every character back from the series past, along with a slew of new DLC additions. Although, the developer might be looking for a way out. While a massive fan base is enjoying these games, this is not the first time Masahiro Sakurai tried to step away from the franchise. Sakurai said he attempted to leave the IP to someone else before, but it didn’t work out. 

Likewise, the developer is uncertain if they could even release another game which might be a disappointment after the latest high from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For now, the decision from the developer remains to be seen as he plans to sit down with Nintendo and seriously discuss if they can continually develop games successfully for the franchise. In the meantime, players can still enjoy Super Smash Bros. Ultimate exclusively for the Nintendo Switch.

Source

Share this post:

FacebookTwitterLinkedInPinterest

Recent Videos

10 Open World Games That NEVER REALLY END

10 Open World Games That NEVER REALLY END

SONY CLOSES MAJOR STUDIO, HEAD OF XBOX RETIRES & MORE

SONY CLOSES MAJOR STUDIO, HEAD OF XBOX RETIRES & MORE

20 Best Recent Games That Are NOW DIRT CHEAP

20 Best Recent Games That Are NOW DIRT CHEAP

10 Upcoming Games With INSANE Graphics

10 Upcoming Games With INSANE Graphics

Resident Evil Requiem: 10 BIGGEST CHANGES

Resident Evil Requiem: 10 BIGGEST CHANGES

20 AA Games We CAN'T WAIT To Play

20 AA Games We CAN'T WAIT To Play

50 BEST Sci-Fi Games You SHOULD NOT Miss

50 BEST Sci-Fi Games You SHOULD NOT Miss

10 Early Access Games That Have Improved a LOT

10 Early Access Games That Have Improved a LOT

God of War: Sons of Sparta - Before You Buy

God of War: Sons of Sparta - Before You Buy

Category: UpdatesTag: Masahiro Sakurai, Nintendo, Super Smash Bros., Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Sidebar

Recent Posts

  • High On Life 2: How To Unlock A Secret Escape Room Ending
  • Reanimal: How To Solve Bunker Signal Puzzle
  • Rumor: Next Santa Monica Studio Game Is Not Focused On *Atreus*
  • Pokemon Presents Confirmed Next Week
  • Rockstar Seems To Have A Secret Bonus Limited To Some GTA Online Players

Copyright © 2026 · Gameranx · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Mai Theme