It’s been a little over a year since the first wave of gameplay footage for The Surge came out, but since then audiences have been treated to a plethora of exciting updates, including a video of protagonist Warren in the heat of battle. Today’s trailer is a fresh look at the brutal limb-slicing loot system, which rewards players with different types of equipment depending on which body part they’ve dismembered.
The system encourages players to approach each encounter from a tactical perspective, and decide whether they attack unarmoured body parts for a shorter, safer fight, or hone in on a shiny piece of equipment and risk some hefty and potentially damage inducing combat. Gameplay in The Surge mainly consists of gory techno battles, amongst other key features:
- Tight, visceral hardcore action RPG combat
- Unique targeting, dismemberment and level up systems
- Explore a dystopian world full of mystery
- Battle an array of huge, fearsome bosses
- Loot, craft, and upgrade new weapons and armors
The Surge is due to release on May 16 for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.