Characters in Apex Legends aren’t just random skins — they’re fully-fledged heroes. Like Overwatch, each hero has their own unique personality, a whole bunch of exclusive customization (like quips, intros and finishers), and special abilities only that hero can use. Each hero starts their game with a passive power, a tactical power, and an Ultimate. Learning how to use those powers to help your team and come out on top is what makes Apex Legends unique in the Battle Royale genre.
I’m going to break down all the heroes and their abilities in the guide below. I’m sure there are going to be some absolutely killer combos suave teams will be able to concoct as time goes on, but we’re still learning the ropes — if you’re curious and want to see what makes these heroes unique, what class each hero fills, and all the ultimate abilities you’ll be able to unleash on your unsuspecting opponents, you’ve come to the right place.
More Apex Legends guides on Gameranx:
- Apex Legends: 26 Useful Tips & Tricks You Might Not Know About (Yet!) | Beginner’s Guide
- Apex Legends: 10 Ways It Improves On The Battle Royale Formula
- Apex Legends: The Best Legends & Ultimate Combos | Team Synergy Guide
- Apex Legends: Best Weapon Combos We’ve Found (So Far) | Loadout Guide
- Apex Legends: Here’s How Microtransactions & Loot Boxes Work | F2P Guide
- Apex Legends: How To Unlock Free Playstation & Origin Cosmetics
- Apex Legends: All The Legendary Hero Skins Available (So Far) | Cosmetics Gallery
All The Unique Character Special Abilities | Classes Guide
After downloading Apex Legends, you’ll start with six heroes. You’ll be able to unlock more heroes using in-game currency, or Premium currency. Each extra hero, or “Legend” costs 12,000 Legend Points, or 750 AC — about $7.50.
- Passive: Tracker – Foes leave behind clues for you to find.
- Tactical: Eye of the Allfather – Briefly reveal enemies, traps, and clues through all structures in front of you.
- Ultimate: Beast of the Hunt – Transform into the ultimate hunter. Enhances your senses, allowing you to se cold tracks and move faster.
- Passive: Gun Shield – Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.
- Tactical: Dome of Protection – Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds.
- Ultimate: Defensive Bombardment – Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a position you mark with smoke.
- Passive: Combat Medic – Revive knocked down teammates faster while protected by a shield wall. Healing items are used 25% faster.
- Tactical: D.O.C. Heal Drone – The Drone of Compassion automatically heals those near it over time.
- Ultimate: Care Package – Call in a droppod full of high quality defensive gear.
- Passive: Insider Knowledge – Scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location.
- Tactical: Grappling Hook – Grapple to get to out-of-reach places quickly.
- Ultimate: Zipline Gun – Creates a zipline for everyone to use.
- Passive: Voices from the Void – You hear a voice when danger approaches. As far as you can tell, it’s on your side.
- Tactical: Into the Void – Reposition quickly through the safety of the ‘void’ space, avoiding all damage.
- Ultimate: Dimensional Rift – Link 2 locations with portals for 60 seconds.
- Passive: Double Time – Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief time.
- Tactical: Smoke Launcher – Fire a high velocity smoke canister that explodes into a smoke wall on impact.
- Ultimate: Rolling Thunder – Call in an artillery strike that slowly creeps across the landscape.
Caustic [Defense] – [DLC – Store Unlock]
- Passive: Nox Vision – You gain threat vision on enemies moving through your gas.
- Tactical: Nox Gas Trap – Place up to 6 canisters that release deadly Nox gas when shot or triggered by enemies.
- Ultimate: Nox Gas Grenade – Blanket a large area in Nox gas.
Mirage [Attacker] – [DLC – Store Unlock]
- Passive: Encore! – Automatically drop a decoy and cloak for 5 seconds when knocked down.
- Tactical: Psycho Out – Send out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy.
- Ultimate: Vanishing Act – Mirage deploys a team of decoys to distract enemies, while he cloaks.