[Want to see more guides like this? Subscribe to GuideRanx for daily new gaming guides.]
There are lots of different Freaks you’ll encounter while looting the countryside in State of Decay 2, but few are worse than the Juggernauts. These seemingly unstoppable brutes can easily kill your survivors in hand-to-hand combat. They love ruining lives and smashing vehicles. If you see one of these giants, be very afraid.
Most of the Freaks are much easier to deal with. See a Screamer? Shoot their heads off. A car can easily run down one of those annoying Ferals, and Bloaters explode after a single shot to the stomach. Normally, Freaks won’t be able to kill an entire Enclave of survivors. Juggernauts, on the other hand, can and will kill multiple friendlies when they appear.
Most of the time, I recommend just running away. Eventually, you will need to hunt and kill a Juggernaut. They’ll stand between you and a successful objective — when that day comes, you’ll want to use some of these strategies. They might just save your life.
More State of Decay 2 guides on Gameranx:
- State of Decay 2: 16 Advanced Tips To Help You Beat The Campaign Fast | Easy Completion Guide
- State of Decay 2: Beginner’s Guide | Tips To Help You Survive The Zombie Apocalypse
- State of Decay 2: Move Items From Your Vehicle Straight To Base Inventory | Looting Guide
- State of Decay 2: How To Cure (Or Delay) The Blood Plague | Infection Treatment Guide
- State of Decay 2: Here’s The Best Way To Destroy Plague Hearts | Combat Strategy Guide
- State of Decay 2: How To Earn More Influence Faster | Best Farming Methods
- State of Decay 2: How To Unlock Artillery Strikes | Best Radio Command Guide
- State of Decay 2: How To Manage & Improve Your Community | Base Happiness Guide
- State of Decay 2: Everything You Need To Know About Outposts | Power, Water, Artillery & More
- State of Decay 2: Sheriff Legacy Goal Walkthrough | Endings Guide
How To Kill Juggernauts (Without Dying) | Easy Freaks Guide
Juggernauts live up to the name. They’re incredibly tough, they’re fast, and they’re strong. They can throw your vehicle around like it’s made of paper. Most guns won’t even phase them. They’re almost invulnerable to direct damage — and certain types of damage don’t hurt them at all. Let’s talk about the basics.
- Juggernauts are a class of Freak. Freaks are special zombies with unique properties. When a Juggernaut is near, the music will change.
- Juggernauts are huge, and have a powerful charge attack. Don’t let them hit you or your car. They’re known to make cars explode.
- Don’t try to ram Juggernauts with your car! Your car will break before the Juggernaut does.
- Juggernauts are immune to fire damage. Don’t try to use molotovs or petrol bombs on them. It won’t work.
- Juggernauts will also ignore decoys. Freaks will be drawn to decoys if they haven’t seen you already, but they will focus on you if they know your location.
- Juggernauts look big, but they’re highly mobile. It can be tricky to land hits with thrown explosives like Soda Can Bombs or Grenades.
- Juggernauts must be finished off with a melee attack. You can damage them forever, but they won’t die until you use a quick stealth / ground kill attack to finish them off. If you don’t, they will continue to regenerate and recover.
That pretty much covers everything you need to know about Juggernauts before you fight them — but that doesn’t say anything about killing them. Just remember these few points; they’re immune to decoys, fire, and vehicles.
Killing Juggernauts – Tips & Tricks
So, we know that fire doesn’t work, and vehicles are another bad idea. How, exactly, do you kill a Juggernaut? The answer is simple — you need to shoot them.
- To kill Juggernauts, you need to aim for the head. Shoot, shoot, and keep shooting until the skull is exposed. You’ll blast one chunk out of the head, then a second chunk — eventually, just one eye will remain. At that point, the Juggernaut is almost down. A few more shots will cause the Juggernaut to fall to his knees.
- When downed, quickly sprint toward the Juggernaut and finish it off with an [RT+X] attack. If you don’t, it will recover and continue to attack. Do a little more damage to down it again.
So, Juggernauts are really, really tough — do they have any weaknesses? Yes! They absolutely do.
- Juggernauts are too big to fit through most doors and windows.
- Juggernauts aren’t as nimble as regular zombies. They can’t climb walls or fences. They can break through breakable objects, like wooden fences, but permanent objects are safe.
- Juggernauts can’t climb, and they tend to get stuck in the environment. Use this to your advantage!
While fighting a Juggernaut, use a shotgun or powerful rifle. You’ll want to bring 20+ bullets for your weapon — a pistol usually isn’t enough to effectively down them, but a Magnum might do the trick. Throwables like pipe bombs and grenades are effective, but difficult to land. I wouldn’t recommend them.
AI partners will also just get in the way. You don’t want to melee Juggernauts at all. Stay out of their range, and use cliffs, barriers, and other walls (or interiors) to block them. Then, simply, unload bullets into their skull.
Whatever you do, don’t fight a Juggernaut out in the open. If they’re surrounded by zombies and walking in the center of the road, just run away. Don’t engage. Keep moving, don’t waste the ammo. If you absolutely must kill a Juggernaut, shoot it in the head from inside a building or behind a wall.
You can also use Grenade Launchers or the Artillery Strike radio command to seriously damage them. Like anything else, you only get a limited chance to actually hit them — probably safer just to use a gun with plenty of bullets.
Got your own Juggernaut combat strategies? Let us know in the comments section!