• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Gameranx

Gameranx

Video Game News, Lists & Guides

  • News
  • Features
  • Platforms
    • Xbox Series X
    • PS5
    • Nintendo
  • Videos
  • Upcoming Games
  • Guides

Miyamoto Claims His Retirement is “Not the Case”

December 9, 2011 by Josh Harmon

In a new interview, the creator of Mario, Zelda, and countless other Nintendo IPs has denied that he’ll be stepping down anytime soon.

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has told the Wall Street Journal that he has no plans to retire, discounting reports from earlier in the week that he would be stepping down from his current position and refocusing his efforts within the company.

When asked whether Nintendo could survive without his guiding hand, Miyamoto was quick to note that he his role at Nintendo wouldn't be changing anytime soon.

“We have to construct the structure so that the organization so that it can make it without me,” he said. “I should also admit that it might be better without me; I mean that a different approach and different talent might emerge, though I shouldn’t dwell on this because then the article might indeed say ‘Mr. Miyamoto is thinking about retiring,’ because that is not the case.”

There's been more than a little confusion over Miyamoto's future at Nintendo over the past few days. Two days ago, Wired published an interview in which the gaming icon said he would be retiring from his current post to focus on smaller projects within the company. In response, the company's shares dropped 2% on the Nikkei Index, spurring an official statement that claimed the news was "absolutely not true" and the product of a "misunderstanding."

Earlier today, Wired editor Chris Kohler defended his article to G4, claiming that Miyamoto's comments were presented accurately and with full context. Likewise, he claimed that a mistranslation was unlikely, as the interview was conducted with the aid of Miyamoto's long-time personal translator, Yasuhiro Minagawa.

“It was Mr. Minagawa; who has been Miyamoto’s translator for a very, very, very long time,” Kohler stated. “I did an interview with Miyamoto in 2002, and Mr. Minagawa was Miyamoto’s translator then. It is Nintendo’s translator, not ours.”

It's worth noting that the Journal's interview was conducted yesterday, meaning Miyamoto's comments were likely made in direct response to the fallout from Wednesday's Wired piece. Whether these clarifications represent a more accurate reflection of Miyamoto's long-term plans or corporate spin designed to restore investor confidence remains to be seen.

Share this post:

FacebookTwitterLinkedInPinterest

Recent Videos

Top 10 NEW Games of September 2026

Top 10 NEW Games of September 2026

Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2026

Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2026

Mortal Shell 2 - Before You Buy

Mortal Shell 2 - Before You Buy

No Man's Sky: 10 YEARS LATER

No Man's Sky: 10 YEARS LATER

Open World Games That DON'T FEEL EMPTY

Open World Games That DON'T FEEL EMPTY

Hell Let Loose Vietnam - Before You Buy

Hell Let Loose Vietnam - Before You Buy

GTA 6 CEO ON GAMEPLAY, PHANTOM BLADE ZERO LOOKS INSANE & MORE

GTA 6 CEO ON GAMEPLAY, PHANTOM BLADE ZERO LOOKS INSANE & MORE

Onimusha Way of the Sword: 10 Things You NEED TO KNOW

Onimusha Way of the Sword: 10 Things You NEED TO KNOW

Ghost Recon Wildlands (2026) - Before You Buy

Ghost Recon Wildlands (2026) - Before You Buy

Category: Updates

Sidebar

Recent Posts

  • Rumor: Horizon Hunters Gathering In The Process Of Being Unalive Serviced After Poor Playtests
  • Call of Duty Modern: Warfare 4’s Multiplayer Trailer Is Our First Look At Hajin, Kill Block, And More
  • Stop Killing Games Condemns GTA 6 Leaks And Repudiates Cyberleek
  • Cyberleek Tells Rockstar To Meet Their Demands Or They’ll Leak More GTA 6 Gameplay
  • Did A New CyberLeek Twitter Account Just Leak The Ending To Netflix’s GTA 6: An Extended Look?

Copyright © 2026 · Gameranx · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Mai Theme