Unlock all the secret stuff in Shadow of the Colossus with our complete list of extra items, modes, equipment, and more. There’s a surprising amount of unlockables in Shadow of the Colossus — you can upgrade your hero Wander with new swords, bows, and cloaks. On top of that, there are special weapons you can earn too, like the harpoon that replaces your bow.
Gear that adds extra defense and attack power to Wander is pretty cool, but there’s even more than that. In addition to the modes you’ll unlock for completing the game, you can also get collectible maps, special stones that detect nearby collectibles, a parachute that Wander can deploy mid-air, and arrows that can distract colossi in combat. Get the full list (and how to unlock everything) below.
More Shadow of the Colossus guides on Gameranx:
- Shadow of the Colossus (PS4): How To Beat Every Boss Battle | All 16 Bosses Guide
- Shadow of the Colossus (PS4): How To Find The Secret Last Guardian Easter Egg Cave
- Shadow of the Colossus (PS4): How To Find The Secret Garden & Poison Fruit
- Shadow of the Colossus (PS4): Hidden Horse (& Other Animal) Tricks | Secrets Guide
All Bonus Unlockables | Maps, Swords, Cloaks, Modes & More
There are tons of unlockables in Shadow of the Colossus. To get started, you’ll unlock a variety of new modes after completing the game once. In the extra, optional modes, you’ll be able to unlock more items, weapons, and skins.
- New Game+
- How To Unlock: Complete the game once.
- New Game+ allows you to restart the game with your health / stamina upgrades. To reach the Secret Garden in the shrine, you’ll need to cycle through New Game+ three times.
- Hard Difficulty
- How To Unlock: Unlocked by default on PS4.
- Access Hard Mode from the Main Menu. Hard Mode removes tutorials, and adds new weak points to certain colossi. Wander takes more damage, and his stamina will drain faster.
- Time Attack
- How To Unlock: Complete the game once.
- After it unlocks, reload and return to the Shrine of Worship. Approach a statue of the colossus in the shrine and pray to enter a timed challenge. This is available for Normal Difficulty and Hard Difficulty.
- Depending on the difficulty, you’ll unlock different bonuses as you complete more Time Attack challenge.
- Reminiscence Mode
- How To Unlock: Defeat the corresponding colossus.
- After defeating a colossus, return to the arena to find a rock formation that resembles the corpse of the colossus. Pray to it and you’ll be able to fight the colossus again, with a film grain filter over the memory.
- Unlike Time Attack, these battles are not timed. They are not more difficult, and you won’t earn any rewards for completion.
Time Attack Unlockables
Time Attack offers lots of bonus weapons, cloaks, masks, maps, and other bonuses. For completing a certain amount of colossus time attack challenges, you’ll unlock the following bonuses. After unlocking Time Attack (complete the game once) you can try any of the 16 colossus time trials by praying at the matching statue in the Shrine of Worship.
- Normal Difficulty Time Attack Rewards:
- Whistling Arrow: 2 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – A special arrow that distracts colossi.
- Cloak of Force: 4 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Increases the amount of damage done with any equipped sword.
- Mask of Strength: 6 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Increases the amount of damage done with any equipped sword. Can be stacked with cloaks.
- Lizard Detection Stone: 8 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – When unlocked, check the map to see nearby white-tailed lizards marked on your map when you’re close to a lizard location.
- White Agro Skin: 10 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Make Agro pure white.
- Mask of Power: 12 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – An upgraded version of the Mask of Strength. Adds even more power to your sword.
- Cloak of Deception: 14 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – An upgraded version of the Cloak of Force. Adds even more power to your sword.
- Flash Arrow: 16 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Explosive arrows that can trigger small sigils on Colossi. Much more powerful than standard arrows.
- Brown Agro Skin: 16 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Make Agro brown. Hold [Square] on the Title Screen.
- Hard Difficulty Time Attack Rewards:
- Harpoon of Thunder: 2 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – A throwable harpoon that can damage sigils. More powerful than regular arrows.
- Sword of the Sun: 4 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – A sword that glows, even in darkness.
- Fruit Tree Map: 6 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – A map that shows all the fruit tree locations.
- Shaman’s Cloak: 8 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Increases Wander’s defense so you take less damage from attacks.
- Cursed Wander Skin: 10 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Give Wander his Cursed appearance.
- Shaman’s Mask: 12 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Increases Wander’s defense. Can be used in conjunction with cloaks.
- Cloth of Desperation: 14 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – A special parachute you can use to soften Wander’s fall. Can be used with the Cloak and Mask. Hold [R1 / Circle] while falling to slow your fall.
- Queen’s Sword: 16 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – The most powerful sword in the game. One charged attack is enough to destroy most large sigils.
- White Agro Skin: 16 Time Attack Colossi Defeated – Changes Agro’s skin to pure white. Hold [Square] in the Title Menu.