Take control of Vault 88 and become an Overseer with the Vault-Tec Workshop DLC for Fallout 4 with our complete quest guide, covering the entire chain of missions offering in the penultimate add-on to the Commonwealth wasteland.
As Overseer, the Sole Survivor can build a massive custom vault using new categories of workshop items. Now you can recreate all the pristine vaults of Fallout 4, creating sprawling interior rooms and interconnected walkways in multiple open buildable areas that can be unlocked. Once you’ve attracted settlers to your vault like a good Overseer, you can then dress the newcomers up in suits (and pip-boys) to begin experiments. Different tests result in all sorts of item rewards. There’s a lot you can do as Overseer, so we’re going to help you get started in this Workshop add-on with the step-by-step instructions below.
Explore Gameranx’s massive list of guides, how-to’s, secret locations, and everything else a fresh Vault 111 escapee needs to thrive on the Fallout 4 Ultimate Commonwealth Guide and become a true post-apocalyptic survivor.
Uncover everything you need to know about the Vault-Tc Workshop DLC with these guides on Gameranx:
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – All Achievements / Trophies Guide
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – How to Equip Settlers With Vault Suits
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – How to Unlock Secondary Vault 88 Entrances
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – Huge Nuclear Material Deposit Location
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – How to Track Lost Companions
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – Improve Your Face & Hairstyle With New Stations
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – How to Power Your Vault Rooms & Lights
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – All Experiment Rewards & Results
- Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop – Get 100 Settlement Happiness the Easy Way
Vault-Tec – Complete Overseer Quest Guide
Every quest available in “Vault-Tec Workshop” is available below, completed in order with screenshots to help you solve every step. Here’s how to get started:
- Install the “Vault-Tec Workshop” add-on.
- Check to make sure Fallout 4 has been updated to the latest version.
Quest – Vault-Tec Calling
- The quest “Vault-Tec Calling” will appear after loading any updated file.
- Tune radio to Vault 88 Radio Beacon.
- Travel to the Vault 88 entrance.
- Vault 88 is located in the southeast swamps, northwest of Quincy and north of the Wilson Atomatoys Factory.
- The Vault 88 entrance is located in a flooded quarry guarded by a settlement of ghoul raiders.
- Clear the raider and enter the white quarry cave interior. Look for steps leading down — the entrance itself is located at the bottom of the quarry near the water.
- Kill the raiders attempting to break into the Vault, then use the yellow speaker box to open the Vault 88 door and complete the “Vault-Tec Calling” quest.
Quest – Better Living Underground
- This begins the quest “Better Living Underground” — go inside the Vault and lift the security lockdown.
- The derelict vault is infested with feral ghouls. Go in prepared!
- Follow the right path to reach the security room.
- Use the terminal inside and select ‘Lift Security Lockdown’
- Go to the reactor room next. A tough ghoul called “Security Chief Anderson” patrols down the stairs.
- Take the Vault-Tec Control Board off the unique named Ghoul’s corpse.
- Now use the Control Board on the Vault-Tec Workshop.
- The Vault 88 Workshop is now unlocked. Go to the hallway leading deeper into the interior while in workshop mode and target the debris covering the path into the vault.
- Press [Square / X] to scrap the wall of debris.
- Clear all three walls of debris by scrapping in workshop mode. Then you’ll reach the first build area and the Vault survivor.
- Speak with the survivor — Overseer Barstow — and follow her as she explains her situation.
- This section of the vault is also occupied by feral ghouls. Be ready for a fight! They ignore the ghoul Overseer and attack you.
Quest – A Model Citizen
- The quest “A Model Citizen” will begin. Clear the large room of feral ghouls — some will come to you, the others will be marked as waypoints.
- Talk to Overseer Barstow once the feral ghouls in the area are killed.
- Agree to run the experiments for Overseer Barlow, and she’ll give you a new task; construct the Overseer Desk.
- The Vault Overseer Desk is found in the ‘Special’ category in workshop mode.
- It requires: 5 Wood, 3 Steel, 2 Rubber, 2 Copper, 2 Circuitry, 4 Aluminum
- Speak with Overseer Barstow after she sits at the Overseer Desk. She’ll send you back to the generator room to activate the Vault 88 Radio Beacon.
- Return to the generator room where you first collected the control board. The switch to the Radio Beacon is on the left side of the desk.
- Turning on the beacon will begin attracting settlers to the vault.
Optional Quest – Explore Vault 88
- The quest “Explore Vault 88” will begin. Find and activate one of the three Vault-Tec Workshops for the North / East / North-East Sectors to continue the quest.
- To complete the quest, you’ll need to find three Control Boards. Check the gallery for all three locations, or browse the full ‘Explore Vault 88’ quest guide right here.
Quest – A Model Citizen [Continued]
- Once a second Vault-Tec Workshop is active, return to Overseer Barstow to interview vault candidates.
- Barstow is waiting with the subjects at the vault entrance. Speak with her to begin the next step of your quest.
- Complete all three interviews. The third subject is just the type of person Overseer Barstow is looking for.
- Get the Vault Suits and Pip-boys from the Vault-Tec crate, then equip Clem with one Pip-boy and one Vault Suit.
- This will unlock the Vault Dweller trophy / achievement.
Quest – Power to the People
- Talk to the Overseer to continue. Next, you’ll gain the schematics to construct a Power Cycle 1000 Prototype. Build it anywhere in the vault.
- Connect the Power Cycle to a terminal.
- Connect the terminal to power.
- Assign Clem to the Power Cycle 1000. [In Workshop Mode, select Clem, then select the Power Cycle. You’ll need to place the Cycle back down, as this will also pick the item up.]
- Use the connected terminal to select one of three additional parameters. Each offers a different bonus reward. Choose one and Clem will begin cycling.
- Let him cycle for an hour to see the results!
- Connect the Power Cycle to a terminal.
- After one hour has passed, the Power Cycle will breakdown. Enter Workshop Mode and select [Repair] to fix the device.
- Talk to the Overseer after completing the repairs to start the next part of the quest. “Power to the People” is complete, and “The Watering Hole” will begin.
Quest – The Watering Hole
- Travel to the HalluciGen Inc. building. It is protected by Gunners — fight your way to the third floor entrance. There’s a staircase here you can access — take the stairs down to the lab. The steamer case containing the research document is here.
- Return to Vault 88 and talk to Overseer Barstow with the chemical formulas.
- Next, build the Soda Fountain Prototype.
- Power the Fountain and assign Clem to test it.
- Connect the prototype to a terminal.
- Select one of the three experiment parameters.
- Give Clem an hour to serve soda.
- Talk to Overseer Barstow after an hour passes to start the next experiment. That completes “The Watering Hole” and starts “Vision of the Future.”
Quest – Vision of the Future
- To continue the experiment, you’ll need to construct and power the Phoropter Prototype found in the Workshop ‘Special’ catergory.
- You’ll need 25 nuclear material. Enter the optional passages by scrapping the large walls in the central Vault 88 hub and reactivate the workshops in each area. There are deep sections of the caverns that a rich with radioactive material.
- Search for glowing-green rock formations. These are uranium deposits. Scrap them in workshop mode for a large nuclear material reward.
- Build the Phoropter Prototype to begin the third experiment.
- Connect the Phoropter to power.
- Connect the Phoropter to a terminal.
- Use the terminal to select one of the three experiment parameters.
- Talk to the Overseer to begin the next stage.
- Talk to the settler after the experiment.
- Talk to the Overseer next.
- The next experiment is the last. This completes the quest “Vision of the Future” and begins the “Lady Luck.”
Quest – Lady Luck
- Once again, nothing special to start this experiment. Follow the same steps;
- Connect the Slot Machine to power.
- Connect the Slot machine to a terminal.
- Use the terminal to select on of three experimental parameters.
- Assign Clem to the Slot Machine.
- Let Clem gamble for one hour.
- Report back to the Overseer — she’s happy with the final results! She plans on leaving; do not talk her into staying – if she stays, you will not get the Oversight trophy / achievement. Either way, you’ll earn the ‘Legend of Vault 88’ legendary jumpsuit.
- Legend of Vault 88: Vault Jumpsuit – Reduces damage from ghouls by 15%
- That completes the “Lady Luck” quest and all the experiments! Congratulations, you’ve finished the Vault 88 quests.
Trophy / Achievement Unlocked:
- Oversight (Bronze):
- Become Overseer