The Master Ball is your reward for defeating Leon, the Galar Champion in Pokemon Sword & Shield. This formidable ball allows you to catch any Pokemon you want — but you only get one shot. There’s no way to earn more Master Balls, but there are tricks you can use to increase your chances with the wide, wide array of alternate PokeBall types available to you.
The big question is — what’s the best way to use the Master Ball? The answer is surprisingly complicated, as there is no single best use for the Master Ball. In Pokemon Sun & Moon, you’d want to save the Master Ball for the Legendary Ultra Beasts waiting for you in the postgame. There’s nothing quite that valuable (or hard to capture here), but there are reasons to hang onto the Master Ball.
There are also valid alternate options, so don’t go throwing away the Master Ball! Here’s everything you need to know about this incredible little item.
More Pokémon Sword & Shield guides:
How To Evolve All The New Galar Region Pokémon | Evolution Guide | What’s Exclusive To Each Version? | How To Catch Shiny Pokémon | Pick This Starter Pokémon For An Early Advantage | How To Easily Evolve Farfetch’d Into Sirfetch’d | Brilliant Aura System | How To Catch Improved Pokemon | Combo & Ultimate Moves | Move Tutor Locations | How To Catch Pokemon Easier | False Swipe & Hypnosis Guide | Easter Eggs, Secrets & References Guide
What Should I Save The Master Ball For?
Right now, there are no perfect Pokemon you’ll want to save the Master Ball for. There are only two valid uses for the Master Ball currently.
- Save the Master Ball for an extremely rare Shiny Pokemon — especially Pokemon that immediately runaway like Wimpod.
- Or save the Master Ball for the future, when updates include new rare Pokemon in the Wilds.
- If you see a shiny 5-Star Raid Den Gigantamax… you might want to use the Master Ball. Just to be safe.
Or you can use the Master Ball to catch a Magikarp, just to make everyone everywhere angry at your poor decision-making skills.
What Should I Not Use The Master Ball For?
One thing I do know for sure is that there are lots of situations you absolutely should not use your Master Ball. There are a few situations where it might seem like a good idea, but I’m here to let you know — it’s a waste of time. Don’t use your Master Ball in the following situations!
- Don’t use the Master Ball to catch Legendary Zacian or Zamazenta. You can catch them with any ball! Don’t accidentally waste the Master Ball.
- Instead of using the Master Ball, use a Pokemon with False Swipe to get the Legendary to 1 HP. Then you can use any PokeBall you want. Learn how to get a False Swipe Pokemon on our guide here.
- Don’t use the Master Ball to catch standard Raid Den Pokemon. If you’re the host, Raid Den Pokemon have 100% catch rate. You can use Eternatus at Lvl. 100 to steamroll Level 5 Raid Dens solo.
Of course, if you want to put your Legendary in a fancy ball, then go right ahead and use the Master Ball. While it is a powerful ball, it isn’t required unless you’re an insane collector hunting Shiny Pokemon, or an item hoarder.
What PokeBalls Are Best For Catching Pokemon?
If you use your Master Ball, there are plenty of ways you can catch just about anything. Let’s break down all the best PokeBalls, and what situations you need to use them in.
- Quick Ball: Incredibly valuable for catching Pokemon that run away like Wimpod. Just immediately use a Quick Ball and there’s an improved chance to catch. The more turns you take, the less effective a Quick Ball become — so save these for Round 1 catches.
- Repeat Ball: This is one of the best for any non-Dynamax Pokemon. The more you attempt to capture a Pokemon, the higher your chances become. Just keep spamming Repeat Ball, and wild Pokemon will eventually be your’s every time.
- Level Ball: The higher your level difference, the easier the catches will be. If your opponent is at (maximum) 1/4rth your Pokemon’s level, you’ll get a huge x8 bonus. Just dump all your Exp. Candy and Rare Candy into a Pokemon, hit Level 100, and go wild.
There are lots of other handy Pokeballs. Love Balls increase your chances by x4 if you’re enemy is the same species but the opposite gender.