The three Starter Pokémon are special in Pokémon Sword & Shield — they’re your first buddies in battle, and they can learn unique Combo Moves and Ultimate Moves. Combo Moves become more powerful when used in conjunction with other Starter Pokémon, while Ultimate Moves are exactly what they sound like — super powerful attacks exclusive to fully evolved Starter Pokémon.
There’s only one trick to unlocking these abilities; you have to find the right Move Tutors! By talking to random NPCs, you can find lots of cool stuff. Some NPCs will trade Pokémon with you! But, there’s only two NPCs that can teach your Starter Pokémon super-special moves that you absolutely don’t want to miss. Here’s where to find both Move Tutors and get some incredible moves.
More Pokémon Sword & Shield guides:
How To Evolve All The New Galar Region Pokémon | Evolution Guide | What’s Exclusive To Each Version? | How To Catch Shiny Pokémon | Pick This Starter Pokémon For An Early Advantage | How To Easily Evolve Farfetch’d Into Sirfetch’d | Brilliant Aura System | How To Catch Improved Pokemon
Unique Starter Moves | Combo & Ultimate Move Locations
There are two Move Tutors that will teach the three Starter Pokemon (Scorbunny, Sobble, and Grookey) unique moves. Combo Moves are more powerful when used in conjunction with another Combo Move. Ultimate Moves are just super-powerful and only available to the final evolution of your starters.
Combo Move Tutor: Found in Hammerlocke, near the Route 06 exit. He’s waiting at the bottom of the steps on the far left of this town. Only the three Starter Pokemon can learn these moves.
- Fire Pledge: [10PP / 80ATT / 100CC] Only available to Scorbunny. Move becomes more powerful when used with Grass Pledge.
- Water Pledge: [10PP / 80ATT / 100CC] Only available to Sobble. Move becomes more powerful when used with Fire Pledge.
- Grass Pledge: [10PP / 80ATT / 100CC] Only available to Grookey. Move becomes more powerful when used with Water Pledge.
Ultimate Move Tutor: A high-level Move Tutor is located in Ballonlea, in the park area. Ultimate Moves can only be learned by the three final evolutions of the Starters.
- Blast Burn: [5PP / 150ATT / 90ACC] Only available to Cinderace. User can’t move on their next turn.
- Hydro Cannon: [5 PP / 150 ATT / 90 ACC] Only available to Inteleon. User can’t move on their next turn.
- Frenzy Plant: [5 PP / 150 ATT / 90 ACC] Only available to Rillaboom. User can’t move on their next turn.
You can revisit the Move Tutors at any time to claim your Pokémon moves — or you can claim them more than once. There’s no downside to tracking these guys down as soon as possible.