[Subscribe to GuideRanx on YouTube for more daily gaming guides.]
Spider-Man (PS4) is a love-letter to the Spider-Man universe, and the ending promises big things for a sequel. In this 30-minute video, we break down everything that happens in the ending, and what it might mean for the future of this new franchise. There are plenty of villains (and scenarios) hinted at after the credits roll in Spider-Man (PS4) and we’re going to talk about them, at length.
Needless to say, there are HUGE SPOILERS in this video. We talk about everything that happens in the game, and how it hints at future storylines. If you don’t want to be totally spoiled, turn back now.
More Spider-Man (PS4) guides on Gameranx:
- Spider-Man (PS4): All Costumes Guide | How To Unlock Every Bonus Suit
- Spider-Man (PS4): All Secret Photo Op Locations Guide | How To Unlock The ESU Suit
- Spider-Man (PS4): Watch Every Boss Battle & Villain Encounter Right Here [VIDEO]
Ending Explained & Sequel Speculation
Everything you need to know is in the video above, but let’s break down exactly what happens in the ending, and how it might connect to a sequel.
At the end of Spider-Man (PS4), Doctor Otto Octavius has gone mad and become the villainous Doctor Octopus, breaking out five other villains (Vulture, Electro, Rhino, Scorpion, and Mr. Negative) to form the Sinister Six. Spider-Man defeats them all in his quest to save the city, taking down a sympathetic Doctor Octopus at the end.
Doctor Octopus doesn’t go mad for no reason. The Mayor, Norman Osborne, is a former business partner and an unscrupulous business man that tries to shut down Doctor Octavius’ work, ordering the city to take his equipment. The two parted ways long ago, after a nasty incident that lead to many deaths, and the creation of Mr. Negative.
Norman Osborne’s greatest secret is “Devil’s Breath” — a chemical compound meant to cure his son Harry Osborne’s genetic disease he inherited from his mother. Norman Osborne will do anything to cure his son, and currently is subjecting him to a strange array of treatments. Mary Jane discovers a secret room in Norman Osborne’s penthouse where spiders are being stored.
- What It Means: At the end of the game, we’re given another glimpse into Norman’s secret lab. Harry Osborne is being kept in stasis, with strange black tendrils growing around him. This is most likely a reference to Venom — instead of an alien symbiote, Venom was a medical nano-suit in Marvel’s Ultimate Universe. Most likely, we might be seeing Harry Osborne as Venom in the sequel.
While looking for clues, one of the spiders crawls onto Mary Jane, and eventually reaches the F.E.A.S.T. building, a homeless center that Aunt May runs. One of the workers at F.E.A.S.T. is a young man named Miles Morales, and it just so happens that one of those genetically-enhanced spiders bites him.
- What It Means: Miles Morales leaps onto the ceiling at the end of the game, showing Peter Parker his new powers. Miles Morales made his splash in the Ultimate Universe, and now is another Spider-Ally in the main Marvel continuity. The sequel might even see Miles Morales become a playable Spider-Man, with venom-like knock-out powers and invisibility, but lacking Spider-Man’s super-strength.
As you play through the game, you’ll also find lots of hints — pumpkin bombs, drone gliders, and even a special Osborne-designed helmet that Mary Jane uses to find structural weaknesses. Oscorp is a massive military contractor that originally created the genetic spider that bit Spider-Man, giving him his powers — at least, in most of the film continuities. Norman Osborne is a huge figure in the game, but never become the supervillain we all know and love.
- What It Means: Norman Osborne might become the Green Goblin in a sequel. And unlike the Ultimate Universe Green Goblin, who was a giant green monster, this Norman Osborne Goblin will probably resemble the classic character — the game shows off all the technology that will eventually become his arsenal of weapons, and even shows a powerful suit. He just needs to decorate the armor, go insane from spider-bites, and start wrecking havoc.
That’s all our ending theories. If you’ve got theories of your own, let us know! There are lots and lots of possibilities for a far-flung sequel to this amazing Spider-Man game.