While you’re busy looting islands, earning promotions, and raiding fellow pirates for loot, you can also explore the luxurious waters in Sea of Thieves. After a few hours of play, it might seem this beautiful sandbox doesn’t have anything left to show you — well, there are a few places that are worth checking out, even if they don’t necessarily give you anything special.
Uncharted locations are just that — places that don’t appear on any of the in-game maps you can purchase for completing quests or hunting those big red “X’s that mark the spot of buried treasure. These locations range from mysterious, to simple; sometimes you’ll find a lost camp, other times there’s a hidden ancient ruin under the waves that’s seemingly impossible for normal players to find.
More Sea of Thieves guides on Gameranx:
Uncharted Locations Guide
There are two types of uncharted locations; islands and shipwrecks. Shipwrecks spawn at random locations — look for seagulls to spot where they’re found underwater. Islands always appear in the same locations.
Check the following cells using the full map as a guide — these islands are unique, awesome spots you can share with your crew. They’re pretty secretive, so if you’re looking for cool hideouts, I’d recommend one of these uncharted islands.
- L – 14 / 15: Two small uncharted islands with ancient civilization ruins hidden underwater, with many, many shipwrecks surrounding the tiny islands. The islands themselves feature a cave system the leads to (and from) the corral reef. On the surface, there’s a small busted tent.
- There’s a strange sight deep in the trench. You can actually discover a strange, giant sea creature skeleton in the deep near these islands.
- If you continue to explore, there’s a temple of unknown origin, with an altar. The altar features a triangular shape depression. Who knows, this might be designed for future content.
- N – 10: Another shipwreck island. This is a classic crescent-shaped isle, with an overgrown shipwreck in the center. The island is filled with old, crumbling remnants from survivors. There are skeletons, tents, hammocks, and other junk strewn about.
- Underwater, it’s possible to find a hidden cave network that leads to a candle-lit chamber. This secret room has barrels with resources you can loot.
- S – 16: One of the coolest hidden locations. There is a tiny island that marks an underwater temple. The underwater tunnel beneath the corral reef leads into a temple with oxygen inside. The air pocket has breathable air, and a mysterious stone statue.
- The same area is surrounded by shipwrecks, and another ancient temple with a triangular-shaped depression on the altar. There are no resources to loot on this island, normally.