UK retailer GAME is trying something… a bit controversial. The retailer is charging people up to £15 (approx $18.34 USD) in order to try out the headset in-store.
The UK retailer has launched a PlayStation VR promotion where customers can try out Sony’s new headset at its stores stores, but for a price. Customers need to book a time and date for a test run before being charged a fee, which varies according to how long you want to play for.
A 10 minute demonstration will cost £5 ($6 USD), a 20 minute demo will cost £10 ($12 USD), and a 30 minute test will set customers back £15 ($18 USD). Customers are also required to follow a set of rules as well in order to play the demo.
Before that, a GAME staff will provide a short introductory brief on the PlayStation VR before it is fired up. Once the demo starts, customers are required to (according to GAME’s small print:
- Remain seated at all times and until headset is removed;
- Close eyes and raise your hand if you become uncomfortable and want to stop the demo;
- Remain calm and minimise erratic head and limb movements;
- Stop moving if GAME staff place a hand on your shoulder; and
- Not touch, remove or interfere with the headset or connected equipment except as directed by GAME staff.
However, if a customer does want to purchase the PlayStation VR, the paid fee will be deducted from the headset’s deposit, and this is available immediately after the completion of the demo.