An update has been issued for XCOM 2, fixing a number of bugs, performance issues, and game crashes. Announced in a post to the community section on Steam, this emergency fix will also repair a known error where save files could not be saved.
The update will automatically download (if it doesn’t, restart Steam and it should begin once you sign in). The full list of patch notes lists the following fixes as included in the patch:
- Player is unable to progress to scan in the Geoscape after completing the Resistance Communications research via Tutorial – This will fix previously affected saves.
- Unable to load saves with a Chryssalid Cocoon – This will fix the issue, and for previously affected saves.
- Adjustments were made to Texture Streaming to assist with periodic frame spikes.
- Using the preview voice button for a modded voice pack will no longer crash the game when in the armory.
- Removed 8x MSAA from default Max settings.
Firaxis has promised more patch support with additional fixes and performance updates for XCOM 2 in the upcoming months. User reactions to today’s update are so far mixed, with some players reporting their problems fixed while others complaining of increased loading time and random crashes.
XCOM 2 debuted on PC on February 6 on Steam to strong reviews, surpassing the number of concurrent players of its sister Fireaxis title Civilization 5 within 24 hours. It also quickly surpassed the sales for Tomb Raider sequel Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC.
For more news on XCOM 2, be sure to check the Gameranx site tag to catch up on all the latest posts.