Sony has announced on it’s official blog, PS3 will receive its next system software update shortly “V. 3.15” which bring data transfer and Minis to the console. It’s an optional update which allows existing PS3 owners who have purchased a new PS3(as a second unit) and would like to transfer their game save data, games and videos downloaded from PSN, to their new PS3 and delete it from their current system. The update also allows personal media files such as photos, music and videos to be copied to your new system.
Check out the step by step tutorial below on how the Data Transfer Utility works:
1. Turn both the current PS3 (A) and new PS3 (B) on and connect them with a LAN cable; PS3 (A) should be connected to the TV. Please note, firmware (v3.15) must be installed on both systems.
2. On the XMB of PS3 (A), scroll to the Settings category and select [System Settings] and then [Data Transfer Utility]
3. Follow the instructions on-screen and transfer data
4. After transferring the data, follow the instructions on-screen, and then connect PS3 (B) to the TV to view the XMB
5. If content that was downloaded from PlayStation Store was transferred as part of this operation, you must activate PS3 (B) before you can use the data. Log in to the PS3 system as the user who owns the content, and then select (PlayStation Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation) to activate the system.
With the arrival of 3.15 Update, PS3 owners will now be able to play “minis,”(a new series of bite-size games) and those who own both a PS3 and PSP system will be able to play on either platform. “minis” for the PS3 system will be available for download on PlayStation Store in the coming weeks. According to Sony, if you’ve purchased any “minis” already for your PSP and the title becomes available for PS3, you’ll simply need to download the title to your PS3.