Fully explore the dream-like snowscape of the Painted World of Ariandel with these key item locations. In Dark Souls 3, key items (or quest items) are unique objects with a variety of uses. These aren’t just keys — the items listed below include ashes, bones, dolls, and one basic key. Not all are strictly required, but if you want to check out everything the first DLC for Dark Souls 3 has to offer, you’ll want to track all these objects down.
All Key Items | Locations Guide
- What’s It For?: Used to access the Painted World of Ariandel. Speak with the NPC near the Cleansing Chapel bonfire in the Cathedral of the Deep to enter the DLC area.
The Small Doll is dropped by the Deacons of the Deep, the boss of the Cathedral of the Deep. It is an essential item, and is required to pass through the barrier in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.
- What’s It For?: Give to the Shrine Maiden in the Firelink Shrine to unlock Millwood Set (Armor) and the Millwood Greatarrow.
The Captain’s Ashes are found at the top of the large stone tower guarded by Millwood Archers in the Painted World of Ariandel. The stone tower is encountered in the snowy area before reaching the rope bridge to the Cathedral, and before reaching the Corvian Settlement. Climb the stairs and use the ladders to get to the very top of the structure where the ashes are located. The corpse is hanging on a wooden beam.
- What’s It For?: The contraption key is required to lower the stairs to the library attic in the Corvian Settlement.
The key is located in the Corvian Settlement of the Painted World of Ariandel. Inside the library where the mechanism is located, you’ll encounter an NPC called Sir Vilhelm. Approach Sir Vilhelm and he’ll turn hostile. Kill him and he’ll drop the Contraption Key.
- What’s It For?: Burn in the Firelink Shrine to access the Hollow Arena.
The Champion’s Bones are dropped by the optional boss in the Painted World of Ariandel. Cut the rope bridge to the Cathedral and climb down (like a ladder) to reach a strange root path. Follow the roots down and drop into the area filled with flowers to encounter the optional boss. After defeating the Champion’s Gravetender & Gravetender Greatwolf, you’ll acquire the Champion’s Bones.
More Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel guides, secrets, and locations:
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – DLC Walkthrough | Low-Spoilers Guide
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – 12 Cryptic Details Worth Checking Out
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – All New DLC Weapons | Locations Guide
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – All New DLC Armor | Locations Guide
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – All New DLC Spells | Locations Guide
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – How To Beat Every Boss | Strategies Guide
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – How to Access the DLC Area
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – How to Access the New PVP Area
- Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel – How to Get the Chillbite Ring