The Gears of War series is all about busting up bad guys with bombastic weaponry, but this special Gears of War 4 Easter egg is all about targeting a more benign opponent — potted plants. While exploring Marcus Fenix’s old estate, you’ll find a greenhouse that exclusively grows tomatoes. The tomato was the plant of choice for Fenix’s old pal Dom, and destroying these precious sauce-producing pots sends the elderly Fenix into a long litany of expletives. We’re being coy here, but just keep scrolling down if you’re ready to read lots of f-bombs.
The funny audio sequence isn’t the only feature — there’s also a new grenade. ‘Dom’s Toms’ is a specially-named grenade type that, naturally, tosses explosive tomatoes. The blast isn’t very wide, but you will hear a splat and see plenty of red pulp.
Check out all the details — where to unlock this Easter egg, and everything else you need to know. If you’re looking for even more Easter eggs, including an awesome insta-kill Freeze Ray, then browse through our complete Gears of War 4 Easter eggs list.
Even more Gears of War 4 guides:
- Gears of War 4: Act 1 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 2 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 3 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 4 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
- Gears of War 4: Act 5 – All Collectibles & COG Tags Locations Guide
“Dom’s Toms” Grenade Easter Egg
Grab yourself a handful of killer tomatoes with this Easter egg, referencing the heroes’ long-time pal Dom and spewing plenty of bad language in the process. Here’s how to make Fenix supremely pissed off, and get the goofy explosive tomato grenades.
- Start Act 2 – Chapter 2 and exit the mansion though the underground tunnels.
- Continue into the Greenhouse and clear the area of DBs.
- Smash every single tomato planter in the greenhouse. All of them.
- Only the taller tomato planters matter. The smaller pots don’t count.
- When all the tomatoes are destroyed, Fenix will rip your squad a new one — and the ‘Dom’s Toms’ tomato grenade will spawn to the right of the exit door. Look for a tomato plant without a planter.
Now you can enjoy Fenix’s angry rants and some saucy tomato explosions. Just for fun, here’s the full rant, transcribed:
“You know how long I worked on this fucking house alone? You know what it’s like being a fucking hermit? Fixing a house? There’s no Home Depot out here, you fucking assholes. Fucking tomatoes… they fucked my tomatoes up! Goddammit! Add that to the fucking list. Goddammit! Those are Dom’s for Christ-sake’s – I grew those from Dom’s seeds. Fuck! Those are Dom’s goddamn seeds, for chrissake. I’m never gonna have another good sauce fuckin’ again. I can’t make Dom’s sauce! Fuck you guys. It’s bullshit. Fuckin’… Damon Baird, you’re a cock!” -Marcus Fenix
After that screed, don’t miss the tomato grenades! Pick up “Dom’s Toms” at the tomato plant that spawns to the right of the Greenhouse exit door.
Image Source: