Elden Ring has its own witch-queen. Hidden inside the Academy of Raya Lucaria, you’ll find the seemingly pathetic second Shardbearer. Instead of a massive, multi-armed blowhard, she’s a quiet mother doting on her strange child. The battle commences in two full phases, each fight completely different from each other and taking place in an alternative arena. This fight is very different than the first Shardbearer, and you might not be properly equipped to handle it. Rennala never fights alone.
If you haven’t already, I highly recommend completing the Rodericka side-quest in Stormveil Castle and unlocking Spirit Ash Attunement in the Roundtable Hold. Having a team of spirit helpers makes this battle much, much easier. Unless you can sling magic fast, this battle can be incredibly difficult — chasing down Rennala with a sword and shield takes serious guts. Boost your strength as much as possible and deal poise damage to stagger Rennala in her second phase. She’s easy to stagger, so you’ll want to interrupt her magical attacks as much as possible.
That’s just the start. Let’s get into more detail. This is how you defeat the second Shardbearer and claim your next Great Rune.
More Elden Ring guides:
10 Tips You Need Early | First Shardbearer | Walkthrought Pt. 1 | Unlock Raya Lucaria | Walkthrought Pt. 2 | Great Lift of Dectus | Walkthrough Pt. 3 | Margit, The Fell Omen Boss Guide | Godrick, The Grafted Boss Guide | Starscourge Radahn Boss Guide | Godfrey, First Elden Lord Boss Guide | Morgott, Omen King Boss Guide | How To Find Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy | How To Find Malenia, Blade of Miquella | How To Find Mohg, Lord of Blood | Frenzied Flame Ending Guide | Age of the Stars Ending Guide
How To Beat Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon | Shardbearer Guide
The Queen is found in the Great Library of the Academy of Raya Lucaria. Unlike most bosses, she relies on minions and summons for both phases of this fight.
NOTE: To even the odds, upgrade your Spirit Ashes at the Spirit Ash Attunement vendor in the Roundtable Hold.
The Queen is protected by a golden shield and surrounded by crawling handmaidens. The maidens have a variety of magic spells — fire breath, pulling down chandeliers, or throwing books.
-Find the handmaiden glowing gold. Destroy three of the glowing gold maidens to shatter her barrier and drop her onto the ground. Attack her while she’s vulnerable!
- Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Boss Tips:
- After breaking her barrier once, the maidens become more aggressive and Rennala herself summons spectral gravestones.
- More maidens will drop down from above. While she’s stunned, the maidens will pause their attacks, allowing you to strike safely.
- Knock her down three times to defeat her. With two-handed weapons, you may be able to defeat her in two stuns. Keep moving and avoid clusters of the maidens — sprinting around the arena to find the glowing gold ones to shatter her shield. Use the shelves to protect yourself.
- Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon | Phase 2 Tips:
- The second phase of Rennala is a completely different fight. She will regain her full health bar and transport the player to a spectral arena in the stars. She is much more powerful now and summons deadly magic attacks to take you on herself.
- Stay close to her and be prepared for her many different magic attacks. At long range she’ll fire a deadly beam that can kill you in a single hit.
- Her magic attacks can be interrupted with your attacks. She has very low poise. This is a saving grace when sprint toward her and using a jump-attack. You’ll stop whatever deadly magic she’s about to use.
- At 50% HP, she will begin summoning spirit ashes to aid in her fight. These will briefly disappear after a few attacks, so you’re better off avoinding them. Don’t bother trying to fight them — she’ll only summon more.
- Her deadliest summon is the massive dragon. She will also summon giants, puppets, and wolves.
- I highly recommend summoning your own Spirit Ash helpers during the second phase. If they’re upgraded, they’re much more resilient. They’ll distract the enemies and the Queen, giving you a brief moment to rush in and attack. Remember, attacks will interrupt her spells before she can cast.
For defeating her, you’ll earn the Great Rune and a Remembrance of the Full Moon Queen. Use the Great Rune at the nearby Divine Tower — you need to reach the Carian Study Hall tower and fight to the top. Turn in the Remembrance at the Finger Reader in the Roundtable Hold to create boss weapons — or in this case, boss spells.
- She can create the Carian Regal Scepter, and Rennala’s Full Moon spell.
- Talk to Finger Reader after gaining two Great Runes to get a free Talisman Pouch.
The next Great Enemy isn’t clear. There are multiple paths to take after completing the Academy, but the Capitol will now be unlocked. With two Great Runes, you can now see Queen Marika.
More Elden Ring guides:
How To Find Ancestor Spirit | How To Enter Nokron, Eternal City | How To Enter Lake Of Rot | How To Find Lichdragon Fortissax | How To Duplicate Remembrance | Stonesword Keys Locations | Regenerating HP Talisman Location | How To Customize Your Character | How To Respec | How To Unlock Ash Spirit Attunement | How To Transmogrify Into Objects | How To Reset NPC Aggression | How To Get The Clawmark Seal Talisman Early | How To Begin The Black Knife Secret Quest | How To Join Volcano Manor Covenant | How To Return To The Chapel of Anticipation | How To Get The Moonlight Greatsword | How To Farm Runes Fast