Respecs aren’t guaranteed in the Souls series. From Software’s hardcore action-RPGs force you to work for your rewards, and Elden Ring pulls the same trick. If you want to respec, you’ll have to find the right item to do it — and this time, the item is hidden deep in an underground world you might never find. You can be 20 hours deep into Elden Ring and still learning the ropes — so if you’re looking to change up your character and swap from magic-user to swordsman, or heavy weapon bruiser to a nimble assassin, you’ll need the Larval Tear.
The Larval Tear is a rare item that resets your stats and refunds you all the runes you’ve collected so far. Return to the Roundtable Hold and enjoy rebuilding your character from the ground up. Elden Ring is all about experimenting with the weird weapons you find, and you might never find the tools you need for a specific type of building on a blind playthrough without the benefit of guides. If you want to change things up, you can do it very early in the game — just save up 5,000 runes.
More Elden Ring guides:
10 Tips You Need Early | First Shardbearer | Walkthrought Pt. 1 | Unlock Raya Lucaria | Walkthrought Pt. 2 | Great Lift of Dectus | Walkthrough Pt. 3 | Margit, The Fell Omen Boss Guide | Godrick, The Grafted Boss Guide | Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Boss Guide | Starscourge Radahn Boss Guide | Godfrey, First Elden Lord Boss Guide | Morgott, Omen King Boss Guide | How To Find Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy | How To Find Malenia, Blade of Miquella | How To Find Mohg, Lord of Blood | Frenzied Flame Ending Guide | Age of the Stars Ending Guide
How To Respec | Larval Tear Location Guide
The Larval Tear is a rare item that allows you to respec, refunding your runes and resetting you to Level 1. The item is sold for 5,000 runes by the Abandoned Vendor.
- How To Find The Abandoned Vendor:
- The Abandoned Vendor is located in the Siofre River area. To reach Siofre River, enter the Mistwood and find the Siofre River Well structure. Take the lift down. Inside the vast underground area, look for an interior structure and listen for music — there’s a small campsite where the vendor resides.
- How To Use The Larval Tear:
- After buying the Larval Tear you need to find a special NPC. Travel into the Liurnia of the Lakes region and follow the road northwest until you find the flooded Academy Gate Town. The path leads to Raya Lucaria Academy.
- To enter the Academy, you need a key. Check the Meeting Place Map found at the gate — the map points to a large island directly west of the academy on your map. The island is guarded by Glintstone Dragon Smarag.
- Fight it on horseback — or run right past it and collect the Academy Glintstone Key from the masked dead body. Now you can enter the seal to the academy and reach the Main Academy Gate site of grace.
- Deliver the Larval Tear to Rennala, The Full Moon Queen at the end of the Academy of Raya Lucaria to be reborn.
- Rennala can also change your cosmetics fully. You can change literally everything about yourself, including your name. The only thing you can’t change here is your gender.
The Abandoned Vendor sells the Larval Tear and x3 Stonesword Keys. I recommend buying both when you reach the underground. 5,000 runes are a lot of money to spend, but it’s worth it — you can always come back and buy when you’re ready to respec.
Early in the game, you might not even know what stats you want to increase. Depending on the armor sets, weapons, and spells you find, you can have a very different build. Eventually we’ll know the locations for all the best stuff to get yourself started, but until then, you’ll be clawing at the dark. Save this respec for when you’re really ready to take the plunge and build yourself from the ground up.
More Elden Ring guides:
How To Find Ancestor Spirit | How To Enter Nokron, Eternal City | How To Enter Lake Of Rot | How To Find Lichdragon Fortissax | How To Duplicate Remembrance | Stonesword Keys Locations | Regenerating HP Talisman Location | How To Customize Your Character | How To Unlock Ash Spirit Attunement | How To Transmogrify Into Objects | How To Reset NPC Aggression | How To Get The Clawmark Seal Talisman Early | How To Begin The Black Knife Secret Quest | How To Join Volcano Manor Covenant | How To Return To The Chapel of Anticipation | How To Get The Moonlight Greatsword | How To Farm Runes Fast