In Elden Ring, your goal is to hunt and defeat the shardbearers. These demigods are children of the Queen Marika — and each one is a unique nightmare. The very first of the plot-important boss fights is Godrick, The Grafted, Lord of Stormveil Castle. This madman presents a stiff challenge, but there are ways you can lessen that challenge — by summoning AI cooperators, or by learning the best ways to take him down. Here we’ll provide a complete breakdown of Godrick to help you finally complete the first stretch of Elden Ring. After this, you’ll have free reign to explore.
Most bosses in Elden Ring are optional. The cursed countryside is absolutely littered with boss encounters. Some of these bosses are completely unique creatures you’ll only find once, and they’ll give you big rewards if you conquer them. The major bosses, called Great Foes, are the real threat to your Tarnished skin. These guys are a step up, with huge health bars and impressively aggressive attack patterns that can quickly overwhelm you. You don’t need to be a master Souls player to defeat Godrick, but you will have to learn how to dodge through his attacks. That’s absolutely required.
Defeating Godrick and using the Great Rune at a Divine Tower will unlock a special key item that boosts all the stats for your character, making impossible areas now possible.
More Elden Ring guides:
10 Tips You Need Early | First Shardbearer | Walkthrought Pt. 1 | Unlock Raya Lucaria | Walkthrought Pt. 2 | Great Lift of Dectus | Walkthrough Pt. 3 | Margit, The Fell Omen Boss Guide | Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Boss Guide | Starscourge Radahn Boss Guide | Godfrey, First Elden Lord Boss Guide | Morgott, Omen King Boss Guide | How To Find Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy | How To Find Malenia, Blade of Miquella | How To Find Mohg, Lord of Blood | Frenzied Flame Ending Guide | Age of the Stars Ending Guide
How To Beat Godrick, The Grafted | Shardbearer Guide
Godrick is located deep inside Stormveil Castle. He is the lord of the castle, and the second Great Foe you must fell.
NOTE: Talk to Nepheli Loux to gain a summonable AI partner. When you reach the boss door, go down the main road backward to find a Golden Tree and an interior room. Talk to the person inside and she’ll agree to help you.
- Godrick, The Grafted Boss Tips:
- Godrick uses a pair of axes that he swings wildly in wide circles. He can also summon storm winds that surround him or blast them directly at the Tarnished.
- When he rolls and leaps into the air toward you, roll toward him and attack while he recovers for a moment. Be prepared for him to use one of his AOE attacks (either the wind or the ground slam that generates a large rock blast on the ground.
- With a Cooperator and Ash Spirit summons, the first phase will go by quickly.
- Godrick, The Grafted | Phase 2 Tips:
- At 50% health, Godrick cuts off his own hand and grafts the dragon’s head to his stump.
- The dragon head arm has a flamethrower attack and a powerful grab attack that chomps onto your Tarnished.
- Stay just out of melee range, but no further. Godrick will spray fire at you that can practically cover the entire arena. If you’re close to him, you can roll / sprint behind him and attack while he’s spewing fire.
Defeat him to unlock Godrick’s Great Rune and Remembrance of the Grafted. Go to Limgrave Tower to use the Great Rune. To use the Remembrance, go to the Roundtable Hold. A new room will be open. Talk to the Finger Reader — you can break down the Remembrance for Runes or create a special weapon. The Remembrance can be duplicated at the Walking Mausoleum in the Weeping Peninsula.
- Using the Finger Reader, you can acquire the Axe of Godrick or the Grafted Dragon.
Go to the Divine Limgrave Tower to restore the power of Godrick’s Great Rune. Doing this gives you a key item that raises all your attributes. Doesn’t need to be equipped. You’re just more powerful now! Areas that were previously impossible suddenly become much more possible after you gain a Great Rune.
Leads to Liurnia of the Lakes region. After defeating Godrick, return to the Roundtable Hold and talk to Sorcerer Rogier for a +8 Rapier.
More Elden Ring guides:
How To Find Ancestor Spirit | How To Enter Nokron, Eternal City | How To Enter Lake Of Rot | How To Find Lichdragon Fortissax | How To Duplicate Remembrance | Stonesword Keys Locations | Regenerating HP Talisman Location | How To Customize Your Character | How To Respec | How To Unlock Ash Spirit Attunement | How To Transmogrify Into Objects | How To Reset NPC Aggression | How To Get The Clawmark Seal Talisman Early | How To Begin The Black Knife Secret Quest | How To Join Volcano Manor Covenant | How To Return To The Chapel of Anticipation | How To Get The Moonlight Greatsword | How To Farm Runes Fast