Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age is a high-definition remaster of the Japanese-only International Zodiac Job System update released in 2007.
Like any Final Fantasy game The Zodiac Age has a strong emphasis on the job system. With 12 different jobs and 6 playable characters there is a lot of available customization to min/max your party.
Read our Final Fantasy 12 jobs guide below to learn about every job and which characters are best suited for them.
Find more Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Guides From Gameranx:
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – All White Magicks | Abilities Guide
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – All Black Magicks | Abilities Guide
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – All Green Magicks | Abilities Guide
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – All Time Magicks | Abilities Guide
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – All Arcane Magicks | Abilities Guide
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – All Technicks | Abilities Guide
- Archers are a ranged based bow wielding class that wear light armor and are capable of using items mid-battle via Item Lores. Archers are able to alter the elemental properties of their abilities with special ammo.
- Basch is the strongest character for the Archer due to his Libra ability. Vaan and Ashe are both capable Archers.
- Black Mages are a magick based spell casting class that wield staves and use mystic armor. Black Mages are capable of unleashing a devastating amount of damage, the highest amount in the game.
- Ashe and Penelo are the strongest characters for the Black Mage due to their ability to heal with the Cure ability.
- Bushidos are a melee based katana wielding class that wear mystic armor and unleash combo attacks. Bushidos are much better suited for a hit and run playstyle, rather than going toe to toe with enemies. Despite being a melee class, Bushido’s benefit greatly from magick ability to empower their katana attacks.
- Ashe is the strongest character for Bushido with her high magick ability. Vaan and Penelo make adequate backup options.
- Foebreakers are melee based axe and hammer wielding class that wear heavy armor and can equip shields. Foebreakers are more of a support class capable of breaking their opponents and dealing high damage but are more than able to tank for your party.
- Balthier and Vaan are the clear best character to use as a Foebreaker with their high strength and health.
- Knights are a melee based sword wielding class that wear heavy armor and can equip shields. Knights are generally used as a main tank but are great at supporting allies later in the game and with the right buffs can have the highest damage output among all melee classes.
- Balthier and Vaan are the clear best character to use as a Knight with their high strength and health. Ashe and Fran make capable backup options with their ability to heal.
- Machinists are a ranged based gun wielding class that wear light armor. Machinists can also utilize Time Magick later in the game. Machinists are a slow methodical class that are very gear dependent, making them unfriendly for beginners.
- Fran is the best character for the Machinist with her ability to use steal from the back lines.
- Monks are a melee based fist and polearm wielding class that wear light armor. Monks are primarily used as damage dealers but are more than capable at providing spot healing to the party. Their high health and evasion make them very hard to kill.
- Ashe is the best character for the Monk with her high magick ability and cure skill. Vaan is more than capable at the role as well.
- Red Battlemages are a magick based spell casting class that wield maces and greatswords, wear mystic armor, and equip shields. Red Battlemage is a jack of all trades job capable of dealing physical and magick damage, as well as using white, black and arcane spells.
- Ashe is the best character for the Red Battlemage with her high magick ability. Fran makes an excellent second choice with the steal ability.
- Shikari are a melee based dagger and ninja swords wielding class that wear light armor. Despite being able to equip shields Shikari is the fastest class in the game making it better suited for raw damage output than off-tanking.
- Balthier and Vaan are the clear best character to use as a Shikari with their high strength and health. Balthier is a decent third option.
- Time Battlemage are a ranged based crossbow wielding class that wear heavy armor. Despite being magick based the Time Battlemage benefits from strength and their relatively low damage output makes them better suited for a status effect support role.
- Fran is the best character for a Time Battlemage with her steal ability fitting perfectly with the support theme.
- Uhlan are a melee based spear wielding class that wear heavy armor. Uhlan focus on physical damage attacks and have access to physical breaks making them ideal in any party.
- Penelo is the best character for Uhlan with her ability to sustain health on the front lines of the battlefield.
- White Mage are a healer based rod wielding class that wear mystic armor. White Mages are the prototypical healers of the party but are more than capable at dealing damage to undead enemies.
- Balthier is the strongest choice for White Mage with his ability to steal and ideal stats for casting heals.