Lionhead Studios has made its first public comment on the news earlier this week that Microsoft has cancelled development of Fable Legends and will almost certainly close the developer. The UK studio’s Twitter account described it as a “tough week”.
“Tough week, but we’re all deeply touched by overwhelming show of love & support from gamers and fellow devs. Heartfelt thanks #gamerfamily,” the developer’s tweet reads.
While Fable Legends has been cancelled, players will continue to be able to take part in the game’s closed beta until April but no new players will be accepted. Those who have spent money during the beta will be entitled to a refund.
Microsoft has not yet confirmed that Lionhead’s closure will definitely go ahead but has said it is working with staff to arrange alternative employment elsewhere within the company and the game industry.
Yesterday, Sony announced that it will host a recruitment fair for Lionhead staff in Guildford, where the studio is located.
Representatives from every Sony Computer Entertainment Europe developer will be in attendance on Monday, the company confirmed.
When Microsoft announced Lionhead’s likely closure, they also confirmed that Press Play Studio in Denmark would close its doors.
Microsoft added that it remains committed to developing games in the UK and throughout Europe. Xbox head Phil Spencer later said it was impossible to go into detail about why they’re closing the studios but “our plan is [to] continue to build new IP and expand our franchises.”
Details of Microsoft’s plans will likely be revealed at E3 in June.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.