You can’t use every power-up in Course Maker when you first start Super Mario Maker 2 — some of the weirder bonus power-ups are only available after you complete portions of the story mode. Here, I’m going to explain which power-ups you can acquire, what they do, and how to get them.
Super Mario Maker 2 adds even more weird gimmicks and customization to players. On Nintendo Switch, you can create and share Mario platformer levels with the world, or just play an endless stream of fun levels.
You’ll have all the tools to create your very own Nintendo game on-the-fly, instantly swapping between testing and creating. There’s even a full story mode that shows you exactly what this toolkit is capable of. There’s a lot of new stuff here, and these unlockable gimmicks are totally new for the series.
More Mario game guides on Gameranx:
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: Hidden Bonuses, Characters & Unlockables | Secrets Guide
- Mario Tennis Aces: How To Beat All 6 Bosses | Final Battle Guide
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – All Super Gem Locations | Mario Odyssey Levels Guide
- Super Mario Odyssey: 10 Tips & Tricks To Help You Get Started | Beginner’s Guide
How To Unlock Bonus Power-Ups | Course Maker Guide
[Work-in-Progress: There might be more unlockables! We’ll update this guide with anything new we find.]
The following power-ups are bonus items you can unlock in Course Maker. These power-ups are only available after completing the conditions listed below. They’re also weird, unique, and tied to particular themes.
- Builder Hammer (3D World Only): Complete ‘Meowser Showdown!’ Job and watch the credits.
- Super Ball Flower (SMB1 Only): Complete ‘Spiny Shell Smashers’ Job and jump on the center “?” Block.
The ‘Builder Hammer’ is a new power-up / costume for Mario that transforms him into his red / yellow outfit, as seen in the overworld map. You get to throw hammers like a Hammer Bros. enemy — if you were familiar with the power from SMM1 and missed seeing it in the game, then now you know how to get it.