Free the shopping district of Shibuya from the criminal grip of Shadow Kaneshiro with all the boss tips on our third guide for all the major encounter in Persona 5.
This wily Yakuza has more than a few tricks up his dirty sleeves, and dealing with the money-laundering madman leads to the longest, most grueling battle yet. This is a two-stage fight, the first so far in Persona 5, so go prepared with plenty of healing items.
To make matters easier, try grabbing one of the Null / Resist Physical demons that stalk the halls of Kaneshiro’s metaverse bank. They’ll receive low damage from physical attacks, or take no damage at all. That’s a pretty sweet deal.
Find more Persona 5 guides on Gameranx:
- Persona 5: Beginner’s Guide | 5 Tips to Get Started
- Persona 5: How to Beat Shadow Kamoshida | Boss Guide
- Persona 5: How to Beat Shadow Madarame | Boss Guide
- Persona 5: How to Beat Cognitive Wakaba | Boss Guide
- Persona 5: How to Get Good & Bad Endings
- Persona 5: All Quiz / Test Answers | Cheat Sheet
- Persona 5: PS4 Trophy List
How to Beat Shadow Kaneshiro | Boss Guide
Deep in the bank vaults of Kaneshiro’s Palace, you’ll finally encounter Shadow Kaneshiro. What appears to be a pathetic, weak Yakuza turns into the toughest boss battle yet. He doesn’t mess around, but if you’re properly prepared, this giant opponent can be defeated.
- Quick Notes:
- Shadow Kaneshiro takes two forms — standard Shadow Kaneshiro in Phase 1, and the massive Piggytron in Phase 2.
- Piggytron uses Fire and Physical damage primarily. Fear Gas will cause Fear — bring Ryuji with a high Confidant rank to automatically remove fear status effects between turns.
- Use one of the several Oni Personas available in Kaneshiro’s Palace to resist or nullify physical damage for Joker.
- After taking a certain amount of damage, the Piggytron will take Super VIP Form and begin spinning. After two turns, the Piggytron will cause severe physical damage to all party members.
- To stop the Piggytron, attack Shadow Kaneshiro on top of the spinning robot. Deal enough damage before two full turns are up to avoid the attack.
Shadow Kaneshiro first fights in Bael form. As a human-fly hybrid, he is fairly weak. He will attempt to instill Fear on all party members, and attacks with Curse Damage. Avoid using a Persona that’s weak to Curse.
This part of the battle shouldn’t be an issue, although it does take some time to whittle down his health. When he’s very low, be sure to fully heal all your party members. The real battle is about to begin.
Phase 2: Piggytron
The giant Piggytron robot is the true boss battle. To win, you’ll need to destroy the Piggytron. During the battle, Shadow Kaneshiro will periodically show himself, but defeating him will only temporarily slow the Piggytron.
Piggytron primarily uses Fire and Physical attacks. Equip an Oni or any of the other Japanese Demon Personas available that patrol the vault section of the Palace. Capture / negotiate with them, and combine to form better Personas with Null or Resist to Physical damage. That makes this battle much easier to manage.
As the battle continues, Bael will exit the Piggytron and initiate Super VIP Form. You’ll need to damage Shadow Kaneshiro enough to knock him off the Piggytron and stop the charge. If you don’t stop the charge within two turns, the Piggytron will roll into the party and deal superior Physical damage.
Upon the second Super VIP Form charge, Mona will suggest distracting Shadow Kaneshiro with an expensive item. Make sure you through only the shiniest and most expensive items — if you agree and successfully throw an item that catches Kaneshiro’s interest, he will stop rolling and spend two turns immobilized.
Even at this stage of the battle, throwing an item is not necessary. If you don’t want to part with your items, focus on attacking Shadow Kaneshiro and continue to attack. Piggytron can be damaged with Magic and Physical attacks equally despite its solid metal exterior.
Take it slow, keep your characters healed up, and whittle away at Piggytron’s health to steal this mobster’s heart.
Take a trip to Futaba’s Tomb with the fourth major boss of Persona 5, coming up on our next boss strategy guide.