Seattle-based studio Miga has just announced their first game, HEVN, a story-driven sci-fi game inspired by first person shooters like Deus Ex and System Shock. In HEVN, players take on the role of Sebastian Mar, an engineer who joins a celestial mining mission light years away from Earth.
As Sebastian, players must navigate the physical and political dangers of Nomoni Inc.’s controversial mining efforts by operating a variety of robots and mechanical utilities. Players must manage their Sebastian’s health, fatigue and mental state to make sure he survives the ordeal while uncovering the conspiracy that lurks beneath the surface of the mining operation.
According to the developers, HEVN is a survival game that invites players to investigate its environmental storytelling and ultimately uncover a complex and human story. tl;dr it’s an actual game and not a walking simulator.
Here’s what it offers:
- A richly interactive environment. Read magazines, wear different clothes, use devices and machinery, talk with robots, and much more!
- A simulated world, including a day/night cycle and random events
- Use your in-game tablet to communicate with family and friends back home, as well as managing your current situation
- Explore the world on foot, or use the hovering Cargo Transport to traverse the terrain with ease
- Eat, drink, sleep, or take medications to help you survive. Hunt alien life forms and harvest plants for food. But be wary, as no resource is infinite…
- Learn about the world by reading datagraphs for hundreds of objects. The more you read, the more expansive the story becomes
- Use in-game currency to purchase upgrades, food, medication, and more – or send money back to your family
- Use tools and weapons to survive – fending off critters and solving puzzles
- Textual localization support for many languages including French, Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and more
The developers have shared a teaser video and some screenshots, which you can check out below.