Bungie’s sci-fi shooter Destiny is undergoing a lot of major and minor changes in preparation for its upcoming expansion, Rise of Iron. But what exactly is going to change for PS3 and Xbox 360 users?
Bungie released a statement announcing that old-gen players won’t be able to play Rise of Iron, and new limitations to progression will be set. However, the studio plans on supporting them for a while longer.
“Up to this point, player progression between current and Legacy Consoles in the same family has been shared by each account. This summer, that experience will fork onto two separate paths that will no longer share progression.”
They also released a detailed description of what will happen if you continue playing on PS3 or Xbox 360:
- Future Game Updates and Content Releases
- Some Destiny Events and Content
- Purchasing Silver
- Accessing new Eververse Item purchases across console generations
- Some Destiny Companion features on the Mobile App and Bungie.net
And if you want to upgrade and play on PS4 or Xbox One:
- Must upgrade within the same console family
- Must login to Destiny using the same PSN ID or Xbox Gamertag
- Must perform an Account Import beginning in August 2016
- May need to re-purchase some Destiny content for the new console